Commercial Rating X-C requirements

Ron Levy said:
Can't say for sure, but my GUESS is that they are concerned that you may have neglected your basic pilotage skills since getting your Private, and they want to be SURE that Commercial pilots can get their paying passengers home even if the GPS quits.
..as I believe to which a somewhat older and wiser "Whirlwind" will now attest. :cheerio:

Ron Levy said:
Can't say for sure, but my GUESS is that they are concerned that you may have neglected your basic pilotage skills since getting your Private, and they want to be SURE that Commercial pilots can get their paying passengers home even if the GPS quits.

Which is pretty easy when you live on a peninsula. Fly any heading between 270º and 90º and you're going to see water within an hour. If you can't find your way home from there, turn in your ticket now.

Have fun with the X-Countrys. I went from Concord up to Pittsburgh, spent the weekend with friends and then flew back. The long cross country for the commercial was one of the more fun training trips I took during my time training.

Praise_the_Lord__The_Thread_returned_from_the_Dead_11.jpg

Before anyone gets too liquored up on this thread, keep in mind it was from 2005 - been some changes to the commercial requirements since then......

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, <b>a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot</b> that consists of at least:
(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—
(iv) <b>One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure</b>

why is it commonly held that the 250 hours flight time includes time built while working towards the private certificate? Where is the delineating phrase/words within 61.129(a)(3) [or (4) for that matter] that sets a different timing standard for requirements within (a)(3) [or (4) for that matter] versus the timing for requirements within (a) itself?

If someone can show me the "after completing the private pilot" or "time prior to private certificate does not count" which appears in 61.129(a)(3) but does not appear within 61.129(a) then I'll buy the "after private" logic.
OK, Ed, I'll try.

61.129(a) sets a total experience level, which includes all experience, including pre-private time. Within this total time frame, (a)(3) sets specific requirements for the commercial certificate, ie. training in 61.127 operations.

While there is no specific timing requirement, such as "after private", the student pilot has normally used his student dual and solo hours meeting PP requirements, and the training is specified, or implied, to be training towards Private certification.

If the student pilot would meet all dual and solo X/C requirements, and then separately log dual and solo towards commercial requirements, this should be legal towards the commercial, but not count towards the private specific requirements, except total time.

FYI, everyone...this thread is from 2005. It was resurrected by a Vietnamese spammer (whose accounts and posts I have since deleted). There probably isn't a reason to respond unless you have additional questions. :D

The post I just made has nothing to do with time.
What are you doing?

The post I just made has nothing to do with time.
What are you doing?

Just pointing out that you're adding to a conversation that took place over six years ago. If everybody wants to hash it out again...of course that's ok. Just don't expect Ed to respond. He doesn't come around much anymore. But as has been pointed out (in post #44 above) there have been some changes to the commercial requirements in the last six years...so if it's going to be hashed out in this thread it could get confusing.

Carry on...

Just don't do like me and assume that for the long commercial day cross country one of the actual flight legs had to be >250nm. It was a great flight, even though unbeknownst to me I had satisfactorily met the actual requirements five years prior, :mad2:

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point.

But as has been pointed out (in post #44 above) there have been some changes to the commercial requirements in the last six years...so if it's going to be hashed out in this thread it could get confusing.

Carry on...

I just compared the X/C requirements being discussed in 2005 with those from 2010 and 2011, and don't see any differences. What am I missing?? This is important to me, as the long SOLO X/C with three landings is all I need to check off the experience boxes for my Commercial rating (the extra landings being what's keeping existing logged flights from satisfying the requirement). I intend to satisfy that requirement during my KAPA - home leg from OSH (dropping a friend in Denver before my return to Fort Worth).

I just compared the X/C requirements being discussed in 2005 with those from 2010 and 2011, and don't see any differences. What am I missing?? This is important to me, as the long SOLO X/C with three landings is all I need to check off the experience boxes for my Commercial rating (the extra landings being what's keeping existing logged flights from satisfying the requirement). I intend to satisfy that requirement during my KAPA - home leg from OSH (dropping a friend in Denver before my return to Fort Worth).

I didn't say that there were changes in the X/C requirements...but that there have been changes in the commercial requirements. The ability to do your long X/C with a CFI on board is one. Can't remember when that changed, though.

I didn't say that there were changes in the X/C requirements...but that there have been changes in the commercial requirements. The ability to do your long X/C with a CFI on board is one. Can't remember when that changed, though.

It changed in 2010 I believe maybe even late in 2009. Also, there have been some changes to the required dual x-country that I know of - for example, it is no longer required to be VFR. You can do it either VFR or IFR.

Back