commercial rating with inop A.I.

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
so my Attitude Indicator needs overhaul, its getting frozen a lot and takes forever to spin up, my mechanic says its the bearings. I am working on my commercial rating and after any bank more than 30 degrees it will freeze up for like 1 min or so. I asked my instructor if this will be a problem for the check ride and he has not got back to me yet.

My question is, can i take the check ride with it if i label it inop? The maneuvers state specific bank angles to be flown. How can I do this with out the AI? can I just use my best guess what a 45 degree looks like?

If I can take the check ride with it inop, would the instructor be a little more lenient with the maneuvers?

I fly almost only VFR on very nice days and really don't want to get it overhauled yet if i don't have to. I'm planing on taking care of it at my annual in 4 months. and don't have the time to deal with it now really.

My vote: Just fix it. You never know when your first VFR into IMC might happen. Maintenance first, ratings second.

My question is, can i take the check ride with it if i label it inop?
Yes.

The maneuvers state specific bank angles to be flown. How can I do this with out the AI? can I just use my best guess what a 45 degree looks like?
Yes.

If I can take the check ride with it inop, would the instructor be a little more lenient with the maneuvers?
No. The PTS standards are not subject to adjustment due to inoperative equipment. And the examiner is experienced enough to know just what the pitch and bank angles are without looking at the AI.

And personally, I would recommend against this course unless you're a lot more confident than you sound about being able to peg the attitudes to commercial standards without the AI.

Back