Commercial Question

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
Not sure if I'm under-thinking this, overthinking this or what. It's just the way it's worded.

One cross-country flight of not less than 300nm total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250nm from the original departure point

The point being, if one landing has to be a straight line distance of at least 250nm from the original departure point, then the flight is going to be at least 500nm, so why even put the 300nm total distance? Unless it's because I always think in terms of a round-robin, which it doesn't necessarily have to be. So it's making sure you go at least 300nm in case it's not a round-robin.

Yeah, I'm confusing me too. :lol:

Nothing said you have to come back to your original starting airport.

Nothing said you have to come back to your original starting airport.

Yeah. I finally came to the conclusion that probably was the answer. For some reason I guess from private pilot and IFR training because there were so many round-robins that I always think in terms of a CC being a round-robin.

Right, so if you have someplace you need to go that's more than 300 nautical miles from your home airport and you go alone, you can satisfy the requirement.

Right, so if you have someplace you need to go that's more than 300 nautical miles from your home airport and you go alone, you can satisfy the requirement.

As long as you make a stop somewhere more than 250 miles away from where you started.

This requirement kind of irritated me when I was working on my commercial rating. I was making frequent trips of over 300 miles, but I would always do them without stopping, so none of the trips I had taken would count. I ended up making a stop one time on one of my trips just to satisfy the requirement.

As long as you make a stop somewhere more than 250 miles away from where you started.

This requirement kind of irritated me when I was working on my commercial rating. I was making frequent trips of over 300 miles, but I would always do them without stopping, so none of the trips I had taken would count. I ended up making a stop one time on one of my trips just to satisfy the requirement.

You lost me on that one. A trip over 300 miles without stopping over 250nm away so they did not count?

Were you just flying out over 150 miles, rounding the pylon and coming back without landing? You need xx hours of XC time, those 300 mile round robin flights would not count either. = poor planning?

You lost me on that one. A trip over 300 miles without stopping over 250nm away so they did not count?

Were you just flying out over 150 miles, rounding the pylon and coming back without landing? You need xx hours of XC time, those 300 mile round robin flights would not count either. = poor planning?
Not the poster you quoted but don't the regs say a landing at 3 airports? Take off abc, fly at least 250 land def, fly at least 50 more land ghi.
I flew to RDU round trip which is over 500 nm, but because I didn't stop at another airport I can't count it.

Not the poster you quoted but don't the regs say a landing at 3 airports? Take off abc, fly at least 250 land def, fly at least 50 more land ghi.
I flew to RDU round trip which is over 500 nm, but because I didn't stop at another airport I can't count it.

You don't even have to fly 250nm non-stop. It just says that one point must be 250nm away. You could have landed along the way before the stop that was 250nm away from the point of departure.

So you do a touch and go near the beginning or the end? What is the problem? They want you to go different places...

or fly a reasonable one way flight and make a fuel stop...

Basically, plan something worth planning and get the hell out of the pattern...

You realize fuel stops count?!? I fly to Florida often and stop for fuel usually in either TN or GA. I used that towards this commercial requirement.

You realize fuel stops count?!? I fly to Florida often and stop for fuel usually in either TN or GA. I used that towards this commercial requirement.

Yes, I realize that. I never made one because my trips were well within the range of my plane and my bladder.

So you do a touch and go near the beginning or the end? What is the problem? They want you to go different places...

or fly a reasonable one way flight and make a fuel stop...

Basically, plan something worth planning and get the hell out of the pattern...

Why would I want to waste gas making a trip or a stop that is essentially unnecessary? I was already making trips much longer than the minimum requirements, just with no stop.

But, that's essentially what I did. I made a landing at an airport along the route of flight I was on anyway, simply to satisfy the requirement.

I was making a trip from 15G to KIPJ. I figured I could count it as my commercial cross country, so I stopped at KZZV and KHKY on the way.

Total distance: 337.2
Distance between ZZV and HKY: 253.0

I was making a trip from 15G to KIPJ. I figured I could count it as my commercial cross country, so I stopped at KZZV and KHKY on the way.

Total distance: 337.2
Distance between ZZV and HKY: 253.0

Again, it doesn't say that one leg has to be 250nm. Just that one point has to be 250nm from the original starting point. Seems people try to make that one nonstop 250nm leg. Doesn't have to be nonstop.

Again, it doesn't say that one leg has to be 250nm. Just that one point has to be 250nm from the original starting point. Seems people try to make that one nonstop 250nm leg. Doesn't have to be nonstop.
For me it was more about turning it into 3 landings, but point taken :)

Sooo.. say someone flew a considerable distance (517nm) with one stop, including a 250+ nm leg along the way. And then returned a few days later. Would this count? I supposed that on the way out, they'd get credit for two locations, and on the way back, 1 more (same mid-point stop upon return).

Perhaps this person should have done a TNG upon departure. :(

Scott,

As far as I understand, nothing in the regulations say that it must be done in XXX time period.

I have received differing input on if one non-stop leg must exceed 250nm.
Does this qualify for my long solo Commercial Cross-Country? (I was solo, in a Cessna 172.) Thanks!

8/3/2013 KOSH 152nm KLUM 202nm KLYV = 353nm
8/4/2013 KLYV 75nm KSUX 55nm KOFK = 130nm
8/5/2013 KOFK 201nm KOGA 103nm KFMM 67nm KBDU = 371 nm
Total 550nm

Sooo.. say someone flew a considerable distance (517nm) with one stop, including a 250+ nm leg along the way. And then returned a few days later. Would this count? I supposed that on the way out, they'd get credit for two locations, and on the way back, 1 more (same mid-point stop upon return).

Perhaps this person should have done a TNG upon departure. :(

Has to be same day. Cannot do it over multiple days.

The point of it is to make sure you get outside of your comfortable area and land at unfamiliar airports without issue.

The point of it is to make sure you get outside of your comfortable area and land at unfamiliar airports without issue.

Feel free to explain

It just says ONE cross country flight. You can do one flight over a number of days. Nothing about it being the same day. You may be right, but it's not written that way.

Does this qualify for my long solo Commercial Cross-Country? (I was solo, in a Cessna 172.) Thanks!

Total 550nm

KLYV is over 250nm KOSH, and it's also over 300nm, and if it's ok to do over more than 1 day, it more than qualifies because you have the landings too. We just have to settle that one point. My understanding is it can be over more than one day.

Total 550nm
Explain "differing input." Here's the "official input" (the exact words of the reg):

One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles;​

Feel free to explain

I assume you mean the part about getting out of your comfort zone? Keep in mind that most commercial applicants are coming in around the 150-200 hour mark, and most of that is maneuver training or short cross-countries ~50 miles away. The IFR long cross-countries are with an instructor.

Commercial is the first introduction to going by yourself far away.

It just says ONE cross country flight. You can do one flight over a number of days. Nothing about it being the same day. You may be right, but it's not written that way.

I had 2 examiners ask me to make sure mine was all done in the same day. It may not be written, but it is certainly implied and adhered to.

If that was the case, we could do a 250nm cross-country one day and then a week later do another one and try to take credit for it.

I had 2 examiners ask me to make sure mine was all done in the same day. It may not be written, but it is certainly implied and adhered to.

If that was the case, we could do a 250nm cross-country one day and then a week later do another one and try to take credit for it.

Rogue examiners.

Thanks guys. I may just check with the examiner (he punched my ticket for the IR yesterday!)

Rogue examiners.

Definitely. Im pretty sure there is an FAA interpretation for this but I cant seem to find it again...

What I did find was John Lynch's Part 61 FAQ
It's since been replaced by the FAA by a far less detailed FAQ site so I dont know that I'd rely on it but the information on Part 61.129 starts on page 200. I know I've seen an official FAA interpretation that it need not be done in a single day and John's FAQ says pretty much the same thing.

They dont want to encourage someone to push on into deteriorating conditions just because they're "close" to the destination and dont want to lose credit for the flight.

Even some of the more readily available interpretations such as Van Zanen (2009) state how the pilot chooses to log segments is totally up to the pilot. If date were really an issue, how would you log those flights that go past midnight or those that are logged in UTC past midnight which ranges from +4 to +8 hours (or more in Hawaii and Alaska) in the US.

What's more confusing to me is the definition of Solo time. I've read several interpretations regarding logging of "solo" time and the history of the rules that suggests the intent of making the 300NM "solo" was to explicitly preclude "dual" time such as when multi while still unrated for multi and/or flying a plane that requires a crew of more than the PIC (thus no plane's with a required SIC).

Indeed Lynch's FAQ explicitly acknowledges the "simulated solo" that permits a CFI to come along was added purely due to insurance requirements.

I've seen nothing that suggests the term solo under this part means "sole-occupant" and in fact see more to suggest the intent was more as "sole-pilot." To me this interpretation is a collision with 61.87 relating to a student pilot but whereas 61.87(a) explicitly states the definition for solo under that subsection is "as the sole-occupant of the aircraft" there is no such definition of "solo" under 61.129 and the FAA has already issued rulings that though applying the time from "student-solo cross-countries" is allowed, the "student solo xc" cannot be applied towards any of the explicit cross-country requirements under 61.129 which by extension to me means a pilot pursuing a commercial under 61.129 is not a student pilot. So why cant you be the "solo-pilot with passengers?"

There's also a potential collision between 61.109 and 61.129 but again 61.109 states the solo time as "solo flight training time" indicating a student level of knowledge whereas 61.129 just says "solo flight time" and as already noted is a certificated pilot.

In the case of 61.87 and 61.109 the use of the word Solo is a restriction under which you can operate the plane meaning you are either DUAL with your instructor or you are the sole occupant. Once you have your ticket punched though, that requirement is removed and there is no expectation by the FAA that you log when you have or dont have passengers so really who's to say you did or did not have a passenger on board?

In some regards, having passengers on board is more realistic scenario. Sometimes they can be helpful providing charts or frequencies but more often than not they're a distraction; especially on longer flights.

I am aware that 61.51(d)(2) makes a provision for logging of "solo time" stating its only when you are the sole occupant but this to me is a holdover from before part 61 was rewritten when a student pilot could not log "PIC" and thus the "solo" column was born. Many log books dont even include a column for "solo" and the absence of a restatement that "solo under this part means sole occupant" for 61.129 when it is restated in 61.87 and 61.109 is notable.

Does anyone have an actual FAA interpretation on this or is it all scuttlebutt and "how I've seen it done?"

To me it seems the "solo" is an attempt to make the regs all read the same between multi/single/roto/etc. Most people transition to mult-engine in the commercial but the rule was included as such in the SEL section for those who got their PPL in a multi and are now adding a SEL (or maybe rotocraft, etc). Thus as a not previously rated Multi-pilot you'd could not take passenger or log PIC time with passengers because you are a student pilot for the purpose of Multi (just like when you start getting your private).

The rule was later updated to include "simulated solo" with an instructor because of issues with many flight schools insurance refusing to insure a "solo" multi-engine pilots without a rating or few hours or at all. The "simulated solo" even has interpretations that allows the instructor to permit passengers on board at their discretion which again goes back to the ability to take passengers during primary training when the instructor is on board at the instructor's discretion. I've also seen interpretations that permit the instructor to provide limited instruction and/or to act as a SIC on the 300NM "simulated solo" which negates arguments that the "CFI can ride along because they know not to interact with the pilot." If they can act like a SIC or offer limited instruction on CRM/PIC duties or as a safety pilot (there is was an interpretation suggesting 61.129(b)(4)(i) could be met under SIM instrument) than why cant a passenger who knows nothing about CRM/PIC duties or working as a SIC not come along? Or even a second pilot who might know these things and can act as a safety pilot but also knows not to directly involve themselves?

Also it should be noted there is nothing in the regulations preventing you from flying the 300NM as a one-way trip keeping it to 300NM. If the plane is being rehomed or otherwise is not required to be returned to its origin, then there's no problem on the other hand, most of us expect the plane to come back to the origin which means the 300 NM trip is really somewhere at least above 500NM for most of us but you could just as easily split the flight and the costs with another pilot even under the "sole-occupant" definition... Simply fly to a destination with a major airport serviced by one of the discount airlines and trade off at that airport.

KSAN to KPHX for example is 356 NM and is serviced by Spirit for $80 one-way... Puttering along at $125/hr for 120KTAS is $375 + $80 for the commercial flight = $455; some $300 cheaper than the roundtrip cost of doing it yourself and with the benefit of getting 2 people signed off for only slightly more than the price of 1. Even if one person had to spend the night in town because of no return commercial flight, splitting the hotel room still comes out cheaper. Of course you just have to remember to put in an extra stop (or 2) since most of us do the 3rd landing at a 3rd airport on the return leg as a landing at the origin.

Last edited:
Back