Commercial Pilot Courses

farky

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
farky
What have you guys used for the commercial? Used King for the private. Should I stick with them? Does Sporty's have an online commercial course? I couldnt find it on their website. How much different is the commercial written from the private?

I used Sheppard air for my commercial. Studied forn3 days and got my highest score of all my writtens. Private and instrument were both kings

ASA publishes a Test Prep for the commercial. Expect to be asked more questions on regulations and aircraft systems. Because the airplane doesn't fly differently when flown for hire or enter airspace that is reserved for commercial use, just about everything you needed to know for your private is fair game.

Bob Gardner

ASA publishes a Test Prep for the commercial. Expect to be asked more questions on regulations and aircraft systems. Because the airplane doesn't fly differently when flown for hire or enter airspace that is reserved for commercial use, just about everything you needed to know for your private is fair game.

Bob Gardner

So you're saying just buy the test prep book and brush up on regs and systems and stuff like that?

I have used Gleim for my private, King for my Instrument and Sheppard for my commercial. After that I am sold on Sheppard, especially for commercial.

Pros- Cheap, easy, fastest, guarantee a good score (I got a 90% just using them)- my personal best

Cons- Learn absolutely nothing other than what's on the test.

Actually you learn more than nothing but Sheppard has a pretty cool way for you to remember the answers- not why they are the way they are. When I was taking the commercial there were many questions where all I had to do was read the first few works and I knew the answer because Sheppard drilled the exact question into me so many times.

Shepperd Air. 3 or 4 days and you score high 90s

Bob Gardner
Is your Complete Advanced pilot book enough for the background knowledge beyond just written prep? What other texts would you suggest as useful for getting a solid handle on required knowledge for CP?

Its basically a slightly tweaked PPL, to the degree you could just go over your PPL stuff and read the page or two in the FAR for the privileges and limitations of a CPL, but if you're going to pick a course you can't go wrong with King

I've used ASA written and oral exam guides for PPL, IR, Commercial (the oral guide for commercial multi), and CFI with good results so I'd recommend them.

So you're saying just buy the test prep book and brush up on regs and systems and stuff like that?

Depends on how much you skipped over FARs meant for Commercial ops when you did your Private. Many people completely ignore it, so it’s more than just a “brush up”,since they’ve never read any of it.

Systems is big. Especially the systems of the aircraft you’re flying for the test. You don’t need to be able to teach exactly how the system works, but your better know more than “this switch turns on the landing light”... if that makes any sense.

Going over the POH in detail and knowing WHY something is a limitation is a good starting point. And why certain emergency procedures are in the checklist. What broke. Why did it break? What can you do about it in flight? What can you legally do about it on the ground?

Airworthiness is also the big push these days. Know how to determine if your aircraft is airworthy and be able to prove it with an FAA doc. The gear warning horn isn’t working, is the aircraft airworthy? Etc. Etc. Etc. Required equipment vs optional and how to document/placard anything needed, and whether or not you can do it. MEL, STCs, etc... You get the idea.

Yup. Once you have taken a run through the test prep book you will have an idea of which systems and regulations you should concentrate on.

Bob

Thanks guys....I've got the test prep and acs books on the way....I'll go thru those before I buy any other courses.

Back