Commercial Pilot Aeronautical Experience

I'm sorry Ed, it is the Smart A$$ in me. Heck blame it on the red and grey on my Arrow.

Any idea where we are eating or shopping next?

You will never hear me say anything about m***e and b**e after tonight.

Nope. I had the Flybaby when I wrote that. It wouldn't be that bad at 85 mph.

If you get down to 40 mph or so groundspeed you'll be at like 140 ft AGL.

I haven't been up to your neck of the woods but from what I understand, we don't have the strong winds you do.

Sadly the cub was groundlooped two weeks ago and it will be another two weeks before we get it back. No serious damage but, the wingtip is in need of some reconstruction and a new elevator is on order.

I have 4.8 hours needed of complex dual time to satisfy the comm requirements and I also need the two hour dual night x/c. I also have to grab a C152 and do a bunch of night takeoffs at a towered airport by myself. I have the required landings but I need more takeoffs. :goofy:

The CFI I am using has the ink fresh on his ticket and I think he is a bit younger than I am. I am probably his first commercial student so hopefully I can make it easy on him and it will be a good learning experience for both of us.

So I start next Wednesday with a night X/C KTTA-KAVL in the Mooney. I'm going to knock that out, then spend the rest of the 4.8 hours working on maneuvers. If that goes really well i'll continue on and do the whole ride in the M20J. If i'm not picking it up too quickly i'll switch to either a C152 or J-3 if the cub is back in business soon.

PS I did e-mail my DPE about using a J-3, and the answer is yes.

A further question: for the 300 NM cross country with landings at three airports, can there be one or more overnights in there? I flew my club's Arrow from Minneapolis - Crystal to Hot Springs, Arkansas (MIC-HOT, 635 NM), spent two nights there, and flew back stopping at 3EX. I don't know if that counts, though.

I've always been told that overnights are fine, but I can't provide the regs to back that up. Anyone? Buehler?

A further question: for the 300 NM cross country with landings at three airports, can there be one or more overnights in there? I flew my club's Arrow from Minneapolis - Crystal to Hot Springs, Arkansas (MIC-HOT, 635 NM), spent two nights there, and flew back stopping at 3EX. I don't know if that counts, though.

I've always been told that overnights are fine, but I can't provide the regs to back that up. Anyone? Buehler?

Gonna depend on the DPE who looks at the logbook.

The FAA has said that repositioning flights don't have to count as the beginning of the flight, so I don't see why there's no reason why an overnight should preclude someone from calling that all one trip. Although there was an idiot on here that said every flight ended once you got off the runway, which means for your commercial XC you couldn't stop anywhere to refuel, or grab a bite to eat, or even taxi back if there was a parallel taxiway.

The commercial XC isn't about "can you sit in the seat for 300nm without getting out of the plane?" It's about navigation, weather, etc. If I had a DPE reject a 635nm flight because I slept over night, I'd be on the phone with the FSDO, pronto. But, call up a DPE you might be taking the check ride with, and ask him.

When I went for my commercial, the DPE asked which flight was long XC, I showed my 18 state 12 day, 4400nm trip and asked which segment he wanted to use. He just laughed, and said most applicants just go to somewhere just far enough away. He was fine with overnight.

Gonna depend on the DPE who looks at the logbook.

The FAA has said that repositioning flights don't have to count as the beginning of the flight, so I don't see why there's no reason why an overnight should preclude someone from calling that all one trip. Although there was an idiot on here that said every flight ended once you got off the runway, which means for your commercial XC you couldn't stop anywhere to refuel, or grab a bite to eat, or even taxi back if there was a parallel taxiway.

The commercial XC isn't about "can you sit in the seat for 300nm without getting out of the plane?" It's about navigation, weather, etc. If I had a DPE reject a 635nm flight because I slept over night, I'd be on the phone with the FSDO, pronto. But, call up a DPE you might be taking the check ride with, and ask him.

When I went for my commercial, the DPE asked which flight was long XC, I showed my 18 state 12 day, 4400nm trip and asked which segment he wanted to use. He just laughed, and said most applicants just go to somewhere just far enough away. He was fine with overnight.
And where that really makes sense is where you have someone make the decision to remain overnight due to safety reasons. That would be a situation where the FAA would want to encourage and promote good ADM, not penalize it by disqualifying the flight!

There is no official guidance currently in the public domain, and the Chief Counsel has never to my knowledge been asked this question, but your FSDO has access to the AFS-810 Part 61 FAQ file which they use to guide their actions on Part 61 issues, and that file does address this question.

Thanks for the answers. The trip down was pretty challenging, in that I opted to delay to allow a large cold front pass my route of flight, letting me hook into the back side of a low pressure system and an epic tailwind. It was definitely the most sophisticated flight I'd planned, due to all the weather going on in the system (freezing level, turbulence, temperature, and varying winds aloft, all changing over time). I was glad I put in the work though, since it meant I could make the flight, and due to the tailwind, in less time than it would otherwise take.

I ended up learning a ton about how to visualize weather and do contingency planning. The trip back was trivial by comparison, so I could relax a lot more.

Back