Commercial Oral

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
So I have been putting off the Commercial Test for a while now. I took the written 1 year ago and passed with 92%, then started my flight training. I think I've been ready for a month of so but keep pushing it away in lieu of more training.

I have a very hard time expressing my thoughts verbally when being tested. I tend to freeze up and forget everything even though i know the material.

I know every Examiner is different, but, what should I be focusing on the most for the Oral? I know Its a very broad test covering everything really just more in depth. My instructor says the test focuses more on the regulations, planning, weather, and weight and balance the most. with emphasis on various factors of pre flight planning.

I don't know, maybe I'm just hyping this up more than I need to. I don't ever remember feeling like this about my Instrument ticket which I hear is the hardest to obtain. What do you guys think?

The ASA Oral Prep is $8, I used it when prepping for my Oral in Oct..

Know the answers to the questions, but focus on the areas that they ask about. It is basically the private oral on steriods, and then with the some part 121/135/91 comm stuff thrown in for good measure..

Comm was much easier all around than the IFR... Just prepare, and go do it.

Be prepared to talk about why you make certain decisions and why, at this point you hopefully have a few examples to share and have built some decent decision making..

You should know what section of the FAr to look it, just label them if needed.

So I have been putting off the Commercial Test for a while now. I took the written 1 year ago and passed with 92%, then started my flight training. I think I've been ready for a month of so but keep pushing it away in lieu of more training.

I have a very hard time expressing my thoughts verbally when being tested. I tend to freeze up and forget everything even though i know the material.

I know every Examiner is different, but, what should I be focusing on the most for the Oral? I know Its a very broad test covering everything really just more in depth. My instructor says the test focuses more on the regulations, planning, weather, and weight and balance the most. with emphasis on various factors of pre flight planning.

I don't know, maybe I'm just hyping this up more than I need to. I don't ever remember feeling like this about my Instrument ticket which I hear is the hardest to obtain. What do you guys think?

Having gone though countless interviews and auditions, my advice is this: just answer the questions. No one (for the most part) is out to make a fool of you.

Having gone though countless interviews and auditions, my advice is this: just answer the questions. No one (for the most part) is out to make a fool of you.

Oh, and make sure you tell the DPE before you start that you have asperations of becoming a local CFI... So he thinks you might send him some students if he is fair :wink2::wink2::wink2::goofy:

Know the answers to the questions, but focus on the areas that they ask about. It is basically the private oral on steriods, and then with the some part 121/135/91 comm stuff thrown in for good measure..

Comm was much easier all around than the IFR... Just prepare, and go do it.

Be prepared to talk about why you make certain decisions and why, at this point you hopefully have a few examples to share and have built some decent decision making..
Mine was actually easier than my PVT. (But with different DPEs, so not really a perfect comparison.

Waaay easier than IFR.

Mine focused mostly on ADM in various scenarios. Very little with flight planning. Just spent a few minutes glancing at my flight plan, and asked an airspace question (equipment requirements for going into the destination Charlie).

Seemed to be very intent on commercial privileges, as in when you can fly for compensation.

Touched on high-altitude operations and supplemental oxygen. (Why do we need special "aviation oxygen" versus standard medical oxygen? What types of masks/delivery systems are available? Hint: There's 3)

Then we talked a bit about the commercial maneuvers, and how they relate to real-world flying.

Oh, and make sure you tell the DPE before you start that you have asperations of becoming a local CFI... So he thinks you might send him some students if he is fair :wink2::wink2::wink2::goofy:
I gave mine a $200 bribe; Worked pretty well. :goofy:

Of course, he waived the $200 test fee. :lol:

If you have passed an Instrument Oral before, like SAM said before, this one will be easier. My instructor literally went through the FAA PTS guide and asked as many questions as he could, it took about 3-4 hours. Know how complex aircraft work and the systems of the plane you flew. Know aerodynamics well, as well as the FARs. Commercial in the end for me (even though the ground was long) was about the PTS flying standards, just make sure your flying is nice and crisp.

Very little with flight planning. Just spent a few minutes glancing at my flight plan

I literally gave mine a written out flight plan and he looked at me like " wtf is this, your a commercial pilot, go print out a duats plan and lets go, theres no time for this" :lol:

Okay!

He looked at the Navlog, asked a coupel questions. Quized the hell out of me about the chart, but I had my Private and IFR with the same guy.. I had passed those, so he just drilled me on the comm stuff.

Flying was the easy part, he asked me what I wanted to do (to make sure i understood what was requried per the PTS), and then we did what I didn't want to do ;)

You took the written a YEAR AGO and havent taked the practical yet!!!, are you a hobby pilot just trying to get your CPL?

I dont understand

You took the written a YEAR AGO and havent taked the practical yet!!!, are you a hobby pilot just trying to get your CPL?

I dont understand
I did my commercial practical 1 year 10 months after doing my written. My school's syllabus was really messed up, where you did the commercial ground class and the written, did half of commercial flight (XC flights) did all of instrument, THEN finished commercial and did the practical. :dunno: I'm just glad I'll be puttin' it all behind me soon.

Last edited:

I dont understand
Heck, I took (and passed) my commercial TWICE, and it expired both times before I got around to doing the checkride! I've been meaning to complain to the FAA about the short duration of the knowledge exams, but haven't gotten around to it yet! :)

And yup, that ("a hobby pilot just trying to get your CPL") pretty well describes me.

I dont understand

Yeah, I'm getting my commercial so I can get my CFI. I have some friends and family that want to learn.

The CP oral is basically the same as the PP oral but with more depth of knowledge in each area, particularly aircraft systems, weather, and privileges/limitations of the certificate.

Mine was actually easier than my PVT. (But with different DPEs, so not really a perfect comparison.

Waaay easier than IFR.

Mine focused mostly on ADM in various scenarios. Very little with flight planning. Just spent a few minutes glancing at my flight plan, and asked an airspace question (equipment requirements for going into the destination Charlie).

Seemed to be very intent on commercial privileges, as in when you can fly for compensation.

Touched on high-altitude operations and supplemental oxygen. (Why do we need special "aviation oxygen" versus standard medical oxygen? What types of masks/delivery systems are available? Hint: There's 3)

Then we talked a bit about the commercial maneuvers, and how they relate to real-world flying.

I gave mine a $200 bribe; Worked pretty well. :goofy:

Of course, he waived the $200 test fee. :lol:
Mine too. In fact, the DPE went to look at some of his questions and came back with a, "Well, I already asked you all of this stuff on your Private and IR, so let's go flying."

Back