Commercial Manuever Rumors

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
I started a thread a while back for the purpose of eights on pylons among other maneuvers. I talk to a few local pilots and figured I'd share what they told me which is perfect for a traditional "Hanger Talk" story.

As we know, Eights on Pylons and Lazy Eights were created around the world war eras.

(Best story telling voice)
Well, back during flight training for the war, pilots needed a way to shoot at an object to the side of the aircraft without the object moving. At the time, you couldn't shoot through propellers without taking a blade off. They created pivotal altitude for this purpose, much like just shooting a soda can off a fence.

Also, during the missionary times, supplies were needed in remote areas. Helicopters were not as readily available to them so pilots would jump in their old piper cubs or whatever aircraft they had and fly to the missionary's location. If the pilot was skilled in eights on pylons, the maneuver could be done while the passenger slowly lowered a basket full of supplies to where the men were standing. Obviously they'd have to move around a little to catch the basket but essentially it'd stay in about the same spot.

As far as Lazy Eights, that was also an old war training maneuver but the idea was actually a stepping stone for further training. CFIs taught their students to master the Lazy Eight because if they could control their aircraft in such a manner, part of a barrel roll was already done. All you would have to do afterwards is roll over the top.

Not sure how much is true but its fun to hear old stories of why we do things in training. Thats just a question I hear and ask all too often. Not to mention, it helps give flight training a little more of that spark and skilled aviator feel than, "increases pilot's understanding of aircraft performance" which seems to so broadly cover Commercial training in general.

Fly safe and keep the spark,
Tristan

Well, back during flight training for the war, pilots needed a way to shoot at an object to the side of the aircraft without the object moving. At the time, you couldn't shoot through propellers without taking a blade off. They created pivotal altitude for this purpose, much like just shooting a soda can off a fence.

That makes some sense.

Also, during the missionary times, supplies were needed in remote areas. Helicopters were not as readily available to them so pilots would jump in far as Lazy Eights, that was also an old war training maneuver but the idea was actually a stepping stone for further training. CFIs taught their students to master the Lazy Eight because if they could control their aircraft in such a manner, part of a barrel roll was already done. All you would have to do afterwards is roll over the top. their old piper cubs or whatever aircraft they had and fly to the missionary's location. If the pilot was skilled in eights on pylons, the maneuver could be done while the passenger slowly lowered a basket full of supplies to where the men were standing. Obviously they'd have to move around a little to catch the basket but essentially it'd stay in about the same spot.

Now tell me exactly why that is NOT possible.

Back