Commercial knowledge test questions

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
I got stumped by a couple of questions today.

91.325 Primary category aircraft: Operating limitations.
(a) No person may operate a primary category aircraft carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.
(b) No person may operate a primary category aircraft that is maintained by the pilot-owner under an approved special inspection and maintenance program except—
(1) The pilot-owner; or
(2) A designee of the pilot-owner, provided that the pilot-owner does not receive compensation for the use of the aircraft.

What is the definition of the Primary Category?

I can't find the other one in the FARs but Gleim had a FAR reference that say you couldn't fly if the barometer setting is above a limit I think it is 31.00". I'll email the student and get the reference.

The question is why would VFR flight need a waiver to fly in those conditions?

Joe

I can't find the other one in the FARs but Gleim had a FAR reference that say you couldn't fly if the barometer setting is above a limit I think it is 31.00". I'll email the student and get the reference.

The question is why would VFR flight need a waiver to fly in those conditions?
See 91.144, and yes, it is 31.00, which is usually the upper limit of what you can set in the Kollsman window of a sensitive altimeter. However, the reg only prohibits flight "contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a NOTAM issued under this section." My experience is that those NOTAMs don't limit VFR flight, so no waiver is needed for VFR flying.

Hi pressure.. read AIM Chap 7 Section 2.
I don't think you can't fly.. just be aware.. and a NOTAM would be issued.
If you can't set to 31.20, then the aircraft is higher than indicated.

I'm not sure about the Primary Aircraft thing.

See 91.144, and yes, it is 31.00, which is usually the upper limit of what you can set in the Kollsman window of a sensitive altimeter. However, the reg only prohibits flight "contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a NOTAM issued under this section." My experience is that those NOTAMs don't limit VFR flight, so no waiver is needed for VFR flying.
Thank you.

I got stumped by a couple of questions today.

What is the definition of the Primary Category?

Joe

FAR 21.24. Simple, smaller aircraft. Think of them as being a predecessor of S-LSA? Came about in the late eighties / early nineties.

Matter of fact if you read the the NPRM establishing the regulatory environment for primary category aircraft you would swear you were reading about S-LSA - including the support and pressure brought to bear by AOPA and EAA on the FAA to provide for cheaper new aircraft for pleasure use.

Definition is single NA engine, four seats or less, weighing no more than 2700 lbs, built under a simplified production certificate.

Last edited:
Back