Commercial Cross Country - Some New Lessons Learned

Flyparrothead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyparrothead
So I did my commercial cross country this past weekend. Started off from Concord just north of Charlotte, NC and flew to Morgantown, WV. Picked up about 23 gallons of fuel and headed to Washington, PA. Hoped outside, took a picture and then flew south for about 30 miles to Clarksburg, WV. This was the first time I had flown in mountainous terrain by myself, and was by far the longest cross country I have done. All and all, it was a good trip. Had some issues with some clouds at 7,500 feet on the way up, but other than that, it was a nice trip.

It felt good logging a 7 hour X-Country in my log book. :)

headed to Washington, PA. Hopped outside, took a picture and then flew south for about 30 miles

You did land at Washington, PA before hopping out to take a photo, I hope! ;-) (Funny, I pictured you heading towards Washington, then hopping out--mentally I missed the landing part, though I know you did)

Glad you had a great flight.

Did you fly it VFR?
Can you fly it VFR?

So I did my commercial cross country this past weekend. Started off from Concord just north of Charlotte, NC and flew to Morgantown, WV. Picked up about 23 gallons of fuel and headed to Washington, PA. Hoped outside, took a picture and then flew south for about 30 miles to Clarksburg, WV. This was the first time I had flown in mountainous terrain by myself, and was by far the longest cross country I have done. All and all, it was a good trip. Had some issues with some clouds at 7,500 feet on the way up, but other than that, it was a nice trip.

My Commercial X/C was just about the best learning experience I've ever had flying. Flew from SEE to GJT in a C150 round trip over the course of a week. Involved all kinds of great decision making and a lot of confidence building. Moutanins, wx, icing, passengers (once I got past the 250nm part of the trip).....oh man....those days were fun flying!

Glad you enjoyed yours!

My commercial X/C was a blast earlier this summer. I decided that I wanted to go farther than the mandated distance. Route was OJC-WWR-AMA-COS-OJC. Ended up being just over 1115nm straight line, so seeing as I flew IFR, I believe total air distance ended up being over 1200nm. Ended up being like 9.7 hours in a DA-40, solo. Which I will never do again.

Cool. I enjoyed mine as well. I did KSRQ-KABY-KCGC-KSRQ.

What issues with clouds did you have? Weren't you IFR?

All along the east coast of Florida there were severe t-storms. But on the west coast where I was it was mostly VMC. Later in the day after lunch at KCGC I had to deal with a couple of rain showers, but I was IFR and it was a breeze.

Cool. I enjoyed mine as well. I did KSRQ-KABY-KCGC-KSRQ.

What issues with clouds did you have? Weren't you IFR?

According to the way that I read the regs, it had to be conducted under VFR rules. Thats not to say you can't file IFR and go, it still had to be conducted under VFR with all of the minimum cloud requirements and all of that good stuff. It was fun though.

According to the way that I read the regs, it had to be conducted under VFR rules. Thats not to say you can't file IFR and go, it still had to be conducted under VFR with all of the minimum cloud requirements and all of that good stuff. It was fun though.
Which XC are you talking about?

The long, 300NM XC has no VFR restriction, but it does need to be done SOLO. The dual XC has to be done VFR.

Accumulate flight experience (FAR 61.129). You must log at least 250 hr. of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:
  1. 100 hr. in powered aircraft, of which 50 hr. must be in airplanes
  2. 100 hr. as pilot in command flight time, which includes at least:
    1. 50 hr. in airplanes
    2. 50 hr. in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hr. must be in airplanes
  3. 20 hr. of training in the areas of operation listed in item 8. below, including at least:
    1. 10 hr. of instrument training of which at least 5 hr. must be in a single-engine airplane
    2. 10 hr. of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered
    3. One cross-country flight of at least 2 hr. in a single-engine airplane in day-VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 NM from the original point of departure
    4. One cross-country flight of at least 2 hr. in a single-engine airplane in night-VFR conditions, consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 100 NM from the original point of departure
    5. 3 hr. in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test within the 60 days preceding the test
  4. 10 hr. of solo flight in a single-engine airplane training in the areas of operation required for a single-engine rating, which includes at least:
    1. One cross-country flight of not less than 300 NM total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 NM from the original departure point
      1. In Hawaii, the longest segment need have only a straight-line distance of at least 150 NM.
    2. 5 hr. in night-VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower

I hope you were treated well up here in my back yard -- though I wouldn't expect less from the folks at MGW, CKB, and AJF!

I have a question about this one, it says 10 hours of training, not PIC, so does this mean I need 10 hours of dual instruction in one of these airplanes?
So if I have 20 hours PIC in a Bonanza, I can't count the time towards the Comm Rating? That's the way I take it.

ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

My Commercial Cross Country was

9D9-FSD-ECS-BIL-FCA(now GPI)-EAT-SPB-MMV-MFR-CXP-L06-HII-BCS-CEZ-FMN-BGD-IFRto1K4-OUN-K68-3MY-9D9

I think it met the requirements. :D

The commercial XC can be conducted IFR or VFR as Scott pointed out. Whichever CFI told you it had to be VFR only needs some remedial reading classed.

I have a question about this one, it says 10 hours of training, not PIC, so does this mean I need 10 hours of dual instruction in one of these airplanes?
So if I have 20 hours PIC in a Bonanza, I can't count the time towards the Comm Rating? That's the way I take it.

ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

Correct - training means time with a CFI who signs the logbook as instruction given.

My Commercial Cross Country was

9D9-FSD-ECS-BIL-FCA(now GPI)-EAT-SPB-MMV-MFR-CXP-L06-HII-BCS-CEZ-FMN-BGD-IFRto1K4-OUN-K68-3MY-9D9

I think it met the requirements. :D

The commercial XC can be conducted IFR or VFR as Scott pointed out. Whichever CFI told you it had to be VFR only needs some remedial reading classed.
Commercial, solo, long XC can be IFR or VFR. The dual day and night have to be done ijn VFR conditions as stated in the reg.

BTW, VFR conditions, what are those? Are VFR condition VMC for a given airspace? Can the flight be done in VMC while under IFR?

Badly written part of the reg if you ask me. I think they want the flight to be done under VFR but the word conditions can cause a lack of clarity.

Last edited:
Commercial, solo, long XC can be IFR or VFR. The dual day and night have to be done ijn VFR conditions as stated in the reg.

BTW, VFR conditions, what are those? Are VFR condition VMC for a given airspace? Can the flight be done in VMC while under IFR?

Badly written part of the reg if you ask me. I think they want the flight to be done under VFR but the word conditions can cause a lack of clarity.

I've argued the same thing a few times. I figure since the commercial is all visual they mean VMC/VFR and you are to use pilotage and all the good stuff.

I've argued the same thing a few times. I figure since the commercial is all visual they mean VMC/VFR and you are to use pilotage and all the good stuff.
I am pretty sure that is what they meant for those as well. It is a lazy use of terminology in that portion of the regulation.

I did mine all within the borders of NC ! My route: KRDU-KHKY-KRHP-KRDU. Murphy-Andrews is in a bowl in the NC Mtns. At some point I want to do KMQI-KRHP (Manteo to Murphy), the entire width of the state. I think everyone seems to really enjoy this requirement.

Last edited:
I did mine all within the borders of NC ! My route: KRDU-KHKY-KRHP-KRDU. Murphy-Andrews is in a bowl in the NC Mtns. At some point I want to do KMQI-KRHP (Manteo to Murphy), the entire width of the state. I think everyone seems to really enjoy this requirement.
KMQI is a really nice airport to. But it is so close to KFFA why not do that as part of the XC?

KMQI is a really nice airport to. But it is so close to KFFA why not do that as part of the XC?

Most of the land-based locals say First in Flight monument is in Manteo. There used to be a local broadcaster that had used the phrase, "Murphy to Manteo" to describe the state. (Charlie Gaddy for those who know the area media, great guy.) I'm just duplicating his phrase for fun. The time I flew out to KMQI I just had to hop across the water to KFFA. The challenge to getting to KFFA from KMQI is you're just leaving the traffic pattern of one before you're in the other, so one has to look for traffic in two directions at the same time. Not to mention those few pilots that insist on landing downhill, downwind and against traffic !!

:hairraise:

Most of the land-based locals say First in Flight monument is in Manteo. There used to be a local broadcaster that had used the phrase, "Murphy to Manteo" to describe the state. (Charlie Gaddy for those who know the area media, great guy.) I'm just duplicating his phrase for fun. The time I flew out to KMQI I just had to hop across the water to KFFA. The challenge to getting to KFFA from KMQI is you're just leaving the traffic pattern of one before you're in the other, so one has to look for traffic in two directions at the same time. Not to mention those few pilots that insist on landing downhill, downwind and against traffic !!

:hairraise:
I did an approach into Manteo from out over the water, did not break out until past FFA which would have been nice to at least snap a picture. Upon leaving Manteo it just made no sense to stop for he reasons you have outlined. But I kinda wish I had just so I could get it into my logbook.

I did an approach into Manteo from out over the water, did not break out until past FFA which would have been nice to at least snap a picture. Upon leaving Manteo it just made no sense to stop for he reasons you have outlined. But I kinda wish I had just so I could get it into my logbook.

I've got both it and Manto in the logbook. In the centenial year, no less.

Scott, I'm of the theory that every plane that can land there should do so at some point. Kinda like paying homage.

I've got both it and Manto in the logbook. In the centenial year, no less.

Scott, I'm of the theory that every plane that can land there should do so at some point. Kinda like paying homage.
I think you are right and I blew my chance. But at least I have KCGX in my log book. Can't get than one anymore.

I think you are right and I blew my chance. But at least I have KCGX in my log book. Can't get than one anymore.

I want to get to KIGX before it's gone. When I was actively flying, I tried to land a one new (to me) NC airport each week. I was making pretty good progress before my wings got economically clipped.

I have one of the NCDOT aviation maps in my office with little circles around each airport I landed at. I wish they had the whole state on one page. I have a devil of a time getting two maps to line up. (they divide the map east on one side and west on the other)

Last edited:

Yep, that's one I should have but never got.

DCA is a goner, too.

I've got to make W32 before it's turned into a housing development (yes, I'm cleared).

Yeah, I hear ya. All this nonsense with DCA. They should make an exception for light GA to land there. Altho, not sure I could afford the landing fees or the fuel. I started the vetting process so I could fly to College Park (KCGS) to see baseball games.

Everyone has these cool little maps on the signature lines... what are y'all using to generate them ?

Back