Commercial and IR overlap?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Background:
I think I've decided to do IR - or at least the carrot was dangled in my face, and I want to bite (LOL).

I reviewed the Requirements and thought they were reasonable and Part-141 route would probably best suit my needs and will probably be cheaper (I'm not stirring this pot) in my situation due to the 50hr PIC XC requirement. My math says I can save about 2 grand.

Also, thinking ahead that I want to do commercial someday, I looked at those requirements. It looks to me like the Comm is more of the same things I did during 141 Private and will do during Instrument.

For example, why is there a requirement for Basic Attitude flying hoodwork during Commercial? Isn't there a presumption of competence considering the IR is a pre-requisite? Why aren't they just combined into one big rating?

Help me understand.

because the instrument rating is not required for commercial pilots.

part 141 instrument/commercial course is probably the most efficient way to get them both done.

Background:
I think I've decided to do IR - or at least the carrot was dangled in my face, and I want to bite (LOL).

I reviewed the Requirements and thought they were reasonable and Part-141 route would probably best suit my needs and will probably be cheaper (I'm not stirring this pot) in my situation due to the 50hr PIC XC requirement. My math says I can save about 2 grand.

Also, thinking ahead that I want to do commercial someday, I looked at those requirements. It looks to me like the Comm is more of the same things I did during 141 Private and will do during Instrument.

For example, why is there a requirement for Basic Attitude flying hoodwork during Commercial? Isn't there a presumption of competence considering the IR is a pre-requisite? Why aren't they just combined into one big rating?

Help me understand.
Because you can get a commercial without an instrument rating and they want to make sure you can at least keep the right side up.

If you already have an instrument rating you already have 10 hours of instrument training and don't need to do that again during your commercial.

How many hours total time do you currently have and how many hours of cross country?

because the instrument rating is not required for commercial pilots.

part 141 instrument/commercial course is probably the most efficient way to get them both done.
Depends. Some part 141 schools charge so much that you could have flown twice as much at a more affordable part 61 location.

Depends. Some part 141 schools charge so much that you could have flown twice as much at a more affordable part 61 location.

right but you'd have to fly more at the 61 place. no 50 hrs of XC time required for pt 141 and you can get your commercial as low as 190 or 200 hrs

I'm currently doing part 61 IR.
The way I figured it is - no one is going to hire me with 200 hours.
300 hours is still very low.
So saving a few hours in training wont matter much.

What do you think?

well they definitely won't hire you at 200 if you don't have the commercial.

I had about 225 hrs when i started working as a CFI...

Very interesting. Thanks!
In your opinion, can the average pilot do the same now?
Maybe I should re-consider my part 61.

Sorry for 7500 the thread.

i have no idea what the hiring situation is like now. I spend my days at a desk where i make enough money to support my flying habit.

i moved to college shortly after getting my CFI and the FBO at the field had recently lost an instructor so i started working there. it was sort of by accident but i'm glad I did.

I plan on working for myself as a CFI as soon as I have my commercial, and CFI checkride, would I hire me? YES! :D

right but you'd have to fly more at the 61 place.

Oh, what a horrible fate, having to fly more! :rofl:

FWIW, all the hours go in the book either way, and the more hours you have, the sooner you'll be able to get hired.

Also, the difference between 141 and 61 for instrument is much smaller if you use the 40 hours of instrument time to get your 50 hours XC PIC. Nothing says they have to be mutually exclusive.

I took my IR check ride with 40.2 of instrument time, and 50.0 of XC PIC. A lot of that...maybe 20 was IR XC.

Last edited:
The 50hrs. of PIC XC time was some of the most fun flying I've done so far. Booking the plane for the day and coming back 8hrs. later...that was great for me. :D

I'm currently doing part 61 IR.
The way I figured it is - no one is going to hire me with 200 hours.
300 hours is still very low.
So saving a few hours in training wont matter much.

What do you think?
200 or 300 hours, it makes no difference when you have a fresh ticket. What you need is a commercial and CFI.

Start right now working on your CFI, or double-eye, since you're doing the IR now. Do both writtens at the same time.
Then, when you're working on your commercial, building towards 250, work on your CFI-A and FOI writtens, and practice for the oral like this:

As you prepare for the IR oral, read and understand every word in the PTS and be able to find the references given for each TASK. Repeat this process for the Commercial Practical Test, as well as the Private PTS.

All of the knowledge and skill you are learning for these certificates is "outlined" in each PTS with the appropriate FAA references.

Don't waste your time just skimming thru to get the commercial, then struggle with the CFI...hundreds, perhaps thousands of $$ later.

Back