Comments on the Lowrance AirMap 1000

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Comments on the Lowrance AirMap 1000 ??

I have a feeling it may be in the birthday plan from the bride. She has been asking folks what to buy for my birthday for flying. I also noticed a dog eared page with flight bags........her signature for marking her catalogs.

Last edited:
the 1000 is a GREAT GPS. I wish i never sold mine. Solid. easy menus. works in car or plane. lots of reviews out there :)

I've heard good things about it.

I have a feeling I'll be getting the Airmap 500 for christmas. We'll see.

It'll be nice to have a GPS with me that I actually know how to use.

I barely know how to use the panel mounted GPSes in the planes I fly. Sometimes it's very annoying when another pilot turns off some really nice feature (like the course line on the moving map.. or ETA).. It'll take me about 20 minutes of fiddling before I'll figure out how to turn it back on.

jangell said:
I've heard good things about it.

I have a feeling I'll be getting the Airmap 500 for christmas. We'll see.

It'll be nice to have a GPS with me that I actually know how to use.

I barely know how to use the panel mounted GPSes in the planes I fly. Sometimes it's very annoying when another pilot turns off some really nice feature (like the course line on the moving map.. or ETA).. It'll take me about 20 minutes of fiddling before I'll figure out how to turn it back on.

even worse is when a pilot friend hops in your plane and shows you a feature (like moving map) you never knew you had!...Thanks Nick!

I have one and like it. It is a little large to use for anything but a vehicle accessory though. I like the larger screen, that is the main reasons I chose the 1000 over the 500, that and the 1000 is more waterproof than the 500 if/when I do use it outside. About the only complaint is I wish they would have included a larger SD/MMC card. The unit comes with a 32mb card. It gets very small when you start loading maps for various areas from the included CD's. The Jeppesen database can't be transferred to other SD/MMC cards as it somehow identifies itself with a specific card. I am pretty sure one Jeppesen update is still included with the purchase. I bought a 512mb card and loaded the new Jeppesen database on that.

I think if I was shopping now, I would be leaning towards the 2000c. The color seems like it would be much easier to read.

I'm still in love with Michael's GPS - Avmap EKP-IV I think its called. That will be my first aviation handheld. Big screen, terrain available (I believe).

Thanks for all the comments......

I wondered if it was to big to sit on the yoke and not be in the way. I'll keep digging up more info and hint around to see what she has in mind.

I like the color display also, so maybe hold off and get the 2000, that would be nice. I'll also check out that Avmap EKP-IV and see what thats all about.

Thanks again......

mdreger said:
I think if I was shopping now, I would be leaning towards the 2000c. The color seems like it would be much easier to read.

I can't comment on the unit itself, but as to moving map technology, I've been using survey grade (sub foot) systems for many years, and color really makes minimum observation time per information unit much better. Made a big difference for me in boat handling/offshore placement. Mental compartmentalization of data takes much less data processing time in the brain.

I got the 2000 at AOPA Expo, and I love it! The display is awesome and the terrain is really useful.

I have a Lowrance 1000 and love it.

It's pretty easy to use and even to re-route while airborne.

There is a lot of control over what data appears on the screen.

The ground interface (as opposed to the air interface) is pretty good, though it won't do "on the road" routing.

I fly a 47 model Bonanza and use a mounting system that puts my 1000 near my control wheel. The mount allows for various adjustments. I owned a Lowrance 100 before the 1000 and it worked great. Still carry it as a backup along with my Icom IC-A5 handheld. But love the much larger display on the 1000. I run it off a gel cell so it's completely free of any connection to the plane. Don't need to use the external antenna either. Just wish it had the approaches (for backup of course) for airports. It does offer extended runway feature. Believe the price has dropped since they came out with the 2000 model. I looked at the AvMap IV at Lakeland at SNF but decided it wasn't worth the $1,500 since my 1000 was only 8 months old. The AvMap offers color and a larger display than the 1000, but is still $500 more than the color 2000 Lowrance.

Gary,

Like Matt said I have the 2000c and I love it. If you want to take a look at it you are more then welcome. I will send you my Cell # if you want you can call. I see you Fly out of N99 so do I. I could let you take it up with you if you want. FYI I will be there this Sat not sure the time yet.

Bob

I'll be up there bright and early.....8:30 lesson!! I have your info. I should be finished with my lesson by 10.

THANKS!

SkyHog said:
I'm still in love with Michael's GPS - Avmap EKP-IV I think its called. That will be my first aviation handheld. Big screen, terrain available (I believe).

Michael and Nick - sounds interesting - is it really expensive (compared to the garmin etc).

Dave Siciliano said:
Hate to change the topic a little, but have you seen the palm pilot? :D

NICE (and these words are added because 4 letters are too short...)

Last edited:
I have had the AirMap 100 for years and have recently purchased the AirMap 1000. I absolutely love the AM1000. IMHO, it is too large to move back and forth each time that I fly but is not too large to mount on the yoke of my Cherokee. Mine came with the 64mb SD memory card but I have just purchased a 128mb SD card for $12 (incl s&H) off of eBay. It took several flights to get used to the new menus but the more advanced features come with ease now.

Back