Commander 112a

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
i know that the 112a wing has a life limit of 6945 hrs. Wondering if they have come up with a fix to extend the life , of the wing?

i know that the 112a wing has a life limit of 6945 hrs. Wondering if they have come up with a fix to extend the life , of the wing?

I hadn't heard that, it sounds awfully low, and oddly specific. Normally I hear things like 12,000 hours.

I hadn't heard that, it sounds awfully low, and oddly specific. Normally I hear things like 12,000 hours.
Per the Type Certificate Data Sheet:

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 8.20.40 PM.png

The North American Rockwell Aero Commander 112 (as it was known then) was the first lightplane certified under the new Part 23, so perhaps they started out overly conservative. In any event, I've no idea why such odd numbers were selected for all the models.

So what do u do when u get there?? Replace the wing??

Per the Type Certificate Data Sheet:

View attachment 69094

The North American Rockwell Aero Commander 112 (as it was known then) was the first lightplane certified under the new Part 23, so perhaps they started out overly conservative. In any event, I've no idea why such odd numbers were selected for all the models.

Aren't they all the same darn airframe?

Maybe Rockwell figured originally it should have a short life limit like the taxpayers airplanes it was building?

As odd and randomly specific as 6,945 is I find the 8,878 even more peculiar. You can tell that these are the straight result of some maths. Does wood fatigue?

And then not all flight hours are created equal. I’d think condition and inspections would factor in.

The COG is working on having that revised and has been working on it.

My 112A is just over 2k hours so I’ll never see the end of life.

There are a couple of 112a aircraft for sale with over 5k hours . The asking price seems to be reflected ,by the wing .

Back