Commanche down in San Antonio, Dec 1, 2019

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by RyanShort1, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    4 miles away from my apartment, didn't hear or see a thing. RIP :(

3. Warmi

Warmi Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    There is technology readily available and reasonably affordable that could have made this engine out potentially a non-event ...

Tantalum likes this.
  4. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    reasonably affordable? Now this I gotta hear. :D

TCABM likes this.
  5. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    You can get it for an experimental at around 10 k or so ... that’s pretty reasonable imho ...

6. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    ...and 100K+ for the experimental aircraft comparable to a Piper Comanche

hindsight2020 likes this.
  7. Van Johnston

Van Johnston Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Van Johnston
    No fire per SAFD.

4th leg of the day per FlightAware.

Huckster79 and flightwriter like this.
  8. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    That’s not the point ... the point here is that great majority of GA pilots are stuck with 60-40 years old designs that have no easy path for an upgrade ( due to procedural, bureaucratic or sometimes technical reasons ) while we do have reasonably affordable technology that can help to greatly minimize risks of these types of mishaps.

It is akin to majority of US population still driving around in 1960 and 1970s cars without air bags and similar modern safety technologies ...
    GA market in the US is like an automotive market in Cuba ... stuck in the past - it is just a sad state of affairs.

9. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    Warmi - what's your $10k solution? I'm listening.

10. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    He cited a 10K BRS, but when confronted with the fact most of us are aware of it, but fly clapped out Comanches and Arrows that don't qualify for these modifications precisely because they cost 40K to acquire and not 200K for an RV-10, said poster shifted the goal post.

No, you're missing the point. We're fully aware of BRS technology and the free for all EABers have at their legal disposal. You're conveniently missing the 180K expenditure to replace the 4 seat capability of a 250hp clapped out orphan comanche that goes for a quarter of that price, in order to incorporate said "cheap" technology into an airplane that can legally be modified in such way.

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  11. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    so did Warmi edit his posts? I don't see mention of it.

12. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    I did not shift any goal posts ... I just wrote that there is relatively cheap technology available to prevent his sort of pointless tragedies ... the fact that we are stuck with ancient planes that can’t take advantage of any of that doesn’t change that fact... does it ?

Rein Hart likes this.
  13. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    It wouldn't prevent 100% of them, but I agree, this should become like the shoulder harness deal. If someone can come up with a reasonably good installation, it should be legal to get an STC with minimal fuss.

wayneda40 likes this.
  14. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    The fact that you need an STC ( or in general , need to ask for permission from a federal agency ) for just about anything, is the very reason you can’t get BRS and you are stuck with 50 year old planes ...but we already know that don’t we ?

PeterNSteinmetz likes this.
  15. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Unfortunately most of the airplanes currently flying are not experimentals. And if you want to start a conversation about safety, you should consider the statistical difference in accident rates between experimentals and certificated airplanes.

A BRS system for a Cessna 172 is currently $15,500 plus installation; for a 182 its $17,500 plus installation.

16. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    How did you come to that conclusion? The reason most of us are stuck with 50 year old planes is because most of us cannot afford $800,000 for a new Cirrus, or even $250,000 for a used one.

Huckster79 and mryan75 like this.
  17. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    The difference is derivative of the fact that most experimentals are built by amateurs without necessary technical background rather than the fact that these are not certificated planes.

18. Swampfox201

Swampfox201 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd W.
    Article states: "Firefighters searched a 20-block radius to make sure the engine didn’t fall into a structure while the plane was descending."

I'm confused. Was the engine not at the crash site? This has to be a case of bad reporting?

Huckster79 likes this.
  19. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    And your point is? If you think experimental - amateur built (E-AB) airplanes should not be built by amateurs, then exactly who should build them?

Commercial air travel is safer than certificated GA airplanes which are safer than experimentals.
    The reason is directly linked to the level of regulation that is applied to each of those three segments of aviation. And that regulation comes with a price tag.

mryan75 likes this.
  20. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    A case study in what happens to markets with significant regulatory oversight.

21. PiperW

PiperW Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    PiperW
    No fire or foam at crash site.
    Stalled 150 yds short of runway.

....maybe a simple miscalculation of fuel required to get from Sugarland to Boerne. About an hr flight n a PA24 with no winds.
    Head winds were double digit last in his flight direction.

clear skies when I went to bed and clear now, he had to be closer to 1T8 than KSAT per flight plan.

Need to listen to the communications between KSAT and pilot but my guess is he miscalculated his guide distance and could see international KSAT to his left while to his closer right was Bulverde just needing 5 clicks to light up.

Sad to all involved

Their trials and tribulations are official over.

22. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    Maybe the pilot reported he "lost the engine" and they took it literally lol.

23. Rein Hart

Rein Hart Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    TOGO
    Sounds like he lost the fuel...

mryan75 likes this.
  24. Van Johnston

Van Johnston Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Van Johnston
    That is pretty close to what the SA Fire Chief said to reporters in his statement that was broadcast. What I heard was "We searched a 20-block radius to make the engine or other part of the airplane wasn't lost."

I agree, I would think it would be obvious if they lost the engine. I also hope he meant a 4 x 5 block area, not a 20 block radius.

25. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    So older certified airplanes need BRS installed because the pilot may not correctly figure the amount of fuel needed to fly a segment?

Huckster79, mryan75 and mooneyflyfast like this.
  26. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    What's a "Commanche" ?

I also didn't know that looking into the fuel tanks was a $10k option. That said, running out of fuel I have 0 sympathy.

mryan75 likes this.
  27. PiperW

PiperW Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    PiperW
    Go to flight aware and check out his flight. Really weird, doesn’t look like fuel exhaustion to me. Looks like engine problem and he tried doing a 360 to lose altitude.
    Maybe lost his engine doing the 360.
    N6678P
    Practice those emergency landing procedures!

28. EdFred

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    That's a 250, and if he was running rich and didn't have tip tanks, that is probably fuel exhaustion since he had almost 3.5 hours of flightaware time that day. That doesn't include ground time.

29. sourdough44

sourdough44 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    A fuel shortage is easy to figure out, for the investigators. Besides no fuel, there may be switching or quality issues.

One doesn’t know just based on flights, don’t know how much fuel may or may not of been loaded at any stops.

Clean, unimpeded fuel flowing to the engine is a biggie. Much of the time engine issues or ‘failures’ back up to fuel problems.

30. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    Wow, I have flown in this plane. My father in law owned this plane for years, he did a complete restore of it and spared no expense. He sold it in 2013 I believe.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    PeterNSteinmetz and Rein Hart like this.
  31. Tantalum

Tantalum En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    A parachute. But that would have saved his life (likely, assuming he pulled it).. but it also would have meant he's not a real pilot and he would have been panned by many on PoA.. in addition, people would say he should have bought a Mooney as it's glide ratio makes it safer than a chute /s

MIFlyer and mryan75 like this.
  32. Davecat

Davecat Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Davecat
    No one mentioned that this flight was likely fighting strong headwinds which were howling here all day, not only at the surface but also 30-40kts at 3000'-6000' out of the northwest. No fire...fuel exhaustion possible.

33. EdFred

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    A real pilot would have checked his fuel tanks. But I was waiting for the Cirrus cures all stupidity chime in.

34. Tantalum

Tantalum En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Well this is true..

35. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    Sugarland to Boerne is 159NM. At a comanche 145-150 (155+ish if balls to the wall at 14+gph), you're looking at an 1:15 with a climb and no winds. With the prevailing westerly to NWesterly winds in the 3-9k yesterday between 40-50+ knots between C TX, NW LA, and Oklahoma, based on his due W direction of flight his GS could have been as slow as 100kts. That puts that flight at 1:36. If indeed that dude launched with less than 2 hours of gas, full knowing the winds aloft were gonna add 30+ minutes to such a short leg, and still decided to overfly all those airports with gas along I-10, then yeah that would be beyond the pale.

Of course we don't know that. Older 4 tank bladdered fuel systems can be sketchy, especially when the full volumes are seldom exercised. As long as those bladders weren't breached in the crash, we should be able to get some forensics as to the integrity of the fuel system. All that said, won't be the first or last time that people run out of gas real close to the destination, with a dozen fuel options behind them all the way to the origination point. Real tough break they couldn't survive the urban landing.

36. mryan75

mryan75 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    mryan75
    To be fair, this particular market (GA in the US) is the safest on God's green earth, with much lower regulatory burden than some other markets. So we do get something for our troubles. Rewrites of part 23 are also coming pretty soon if memory serves.

37. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    This plane had 2 30g tanks, averaged cruise around 160-165kts sucking 13GPH @ 8k feet.

38. Warmi

Display Name:

Display name:
    Warmi
    Nah ... as I said , your typical RV plane is just as safe and just as refined as any certified plane of the same class when build exactly to specifications and by professionals who know what they are doing.
    If Cirrus were to release a kit verision of their flagship product and let people have at it in their garages , I am pretty sure you would see similar safety stats as with other mainstream experimentals - certificated or not.

39. NavAir

NavAir Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    NavAir
    Photo shows engine in the wreckage. Just the usual ignorance of the press when reporting aviation stories: "He lost his engine"

40. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    Interesting, I thought only the comanche 180s came in the main tank only variant. I thought all 250s and higher had the 4 tank setup. In any event, it certainly would have been prudent to bring in 2 hours of endurance at whatever fuel flow the deceased liked to fly, considering the higher than average headwinds yesterday.