Comm XC & Compassion Flights

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, I finally have enough hours to fly compassion flights for Angel Flight or LifeLine Pilots. I thought I'd use the deadhead leg(s) of one of those flights to also meet the solo XC requirements for the Commercial. The question is, do all the solo legs need to be consecutive? What if I fly 251NM, stop, fly 20NM & pick up passengers, fly the passenger leg (about 150NM), and then fly 230NM? Total flight solo is > 300NM, and furthest point from start is > 250NM. Does the leg in the middle with passengers make a difference?

Not that it matters, but an example would be 1C5 - CGI (276NM) - MDH (36NM) - LUK (241NM) - 1C5 (230NM). The stop at CGI is solely to make one of the points > 250NM from the starting point. Passengers MDH - LUK.

Ron? Others?

The first part of the flight (1C5-CGI-MDH) by itself almost meets the requirement (landings at three points, more than 300nm total, and one landing over 250nm from original point of departure) because you've got 312nm total and one landing 276nm from 1C5, but doesn't completely fill the requirement because there are landings at only two points. Add a T&G somewhere between 1C5 and CGI and you've got it made. Log that solo segment on a line by itself, noting that it meets 61.129(a)(4)(i), and then log the MDH-LUK-1C5 flight on the next line.

Okay, I finally have enough hours to fly compassion flights for Angel Flight or LifeLine Pilots. I thought I'd use the deadhead leg(s) of one of those flights to also meet the solo XC requirements for the Commercial. The question is, do all the solo legs need to be consecutive? What if I fly 251NM, stop, fly 20NM & pick up passengers, fly the passenger leg (about 150NM), and then fly 230NM? Total flight solo is > 300NM, and furthest point from start is > 250NM. Does the leg in the middle with passengers make a difference?

Not that it matters, but an example would be 1C5 - CGI (276NM) - MDH (36NM) - LUK (241NM) - 1C5 (230NM). The stop at CGI is solely to make one of the points > 250NM from the starting point. Passengers MDH - LUK.

Ron? Others?

I'm confused by your concern about the "leg in the middle". If the first two legs (1C5-CGI-LUK) are solo, you've got the distance requirement covered. Just add an extra landing on one of those two legs and you're done like Ron said. As to the question of a "solo" flight with pax carried on an intermediate leg, I don't see how you could make that cover the requirements because the reg says "One solo flight..." and IMO once you're not solo, that solo flight has ended.

Yeah, that's kind of an obvious solution, isn't it? :redface: I think I'll do something like that, but probably do after I drop off the passenger, so I don't wind up late picking up the passenger.

...probably do after I drop off the passenger, so I don't wind up late picking up the passenger.
Just remember to go more than 35nm past 1C5 for the far point landing on your way back from LUK, since it's only 230nm from LUK to 1C5, and you need a 300nm total flight distance.

Just remember to go more than 35nm past 1C5 for the far point landing on your way back from LUK, since it's only 230nm from LUK to 1C5, and you need a 300nm total flight distance.

Peru (VYS) or Rochelle (RPJ) would work for extending the return leg to slightly over 300 nm. Just remember to do an extra landing at one of the three airports.

Thanks guys. Don't concentrate on the specific airports listed, because I'll likely do a different flight, but the concepts are all good. Heck, one of them ends at KMWA. Drop down to Sikeston for lunch and do a couple stops on the way back up and I've got it! Of course, I think I might wait until night to come back so I can get the night solo time, and make the landings at towered airports. A T&G at ORD would be fun! :)

Back