Comm radio installation cost

Ace66

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ace66
We're thinking about replacing our old King comm only radio with the GTR225 comm only radio. Got a quote for $3450 installed (Advanced AeroTech in Greeley CO). Aircraft Spruce sells this radio for $1950. So that's $1500 to install a simple radio in our C180. Our annuals cost almost half that and our mechanic spends an entire day on our plane.

Is this above average cost? I wonder if I should just wait until after the whole ADSB fiasco dies down.....

Seconded to talk to Mark in Alamosa. Nice folks. He’s very busy so expect a wait to get on the schedule but unlike some unnamed places around here, when your schedule dates hit you’re really ON the schedule. They’re ready to work on your airplane.

We're thinking about replacing our old King comm only radio with the GTR225 comm only radio. Got a quote for $3450 installed (Advanced AeroTech in Greeley CO). Aircraft Spruce sells this radio for $1950. So that's $1500 to install a simple radio in our C180. Our annuals cost almost half that and our mechanic spends an entire day on our plane.

Is this above average cost? I wonder if I should just wait until after the whole ADSB fiasco dies down.....
If the 225 is not a slide-in replacement for the King, remember that installation includes changing the tray, harness, wiring to an audio panel, if you have one, moving wiring if needed, making sure nothing else gets broken, removing old stuff, and doing the FAA paperwork as well as the bill.

I still recommend contacting Mark.

Back