Comm Multi DONE

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Wahoo - I am now an official Commercial pilot, Multi Engine! In spite of a raggedy single-engine ILS approach to KPNE, I seem to have satisfied the DPE that my skills are adequate for the task. Now it's time for that single add-on so I can go learn the fun maneuvers.

What a great feeling. To think that 3 yrs ago I was still in the "boy, I wish I had a pilot's license, but I guess I'll never have the chance to" phase of my life, which at that point had lasted about 39 years.

Congrats!! Welcome to the twin club. It's a great feeling to have that done. Don't feel bad about the hairy ILS, that's the toughest one for everyone.

Also congrats. The Multi Comm I got last August has opened a LOT of windows for me. enjoy yours!

Congradulations! Wow, busy week here in SE PA. Birthdays, New Ratings,... :cheerswine:

Congrats again!:blueplane::blueplane: (we need a twin image)

Congratulations Andrew.

Is there a 182 for sale at KLOM now :D

Congrats! Are you going to post a write-up?

Here you go....

I was probably sweating the oral more than anything. I've been working on this since early Feb, and the initial drive to study had faded. I was kinda tired of worrying about what kind of questions to expect. The oral exam prep from ASA didn't help - it had too many dang questions. I decided to relax and go with the gut. I figured I should know my stuff by now. Good decision.

Oral was very fair. He started with a briefing for the day, explaining procedures and generally spelling out what he was looking for. I could tell he was not a "gotcha" kind of guy, and that turned out to be correct. We went over preflight issues, like what makes a pilot and aircraft legal, flight planning issues, etc. Then discussed inflight issues, with a focus on multiengine aircraft. Vmc, how it's calculated and the various factors affecting it, takeoff/landing decision making. He liked my answer for IFR takeoff minimums in Part 91 ("I can be as stupid as I want to be") which led to a good discussion on IFR and ADM. Then we discussed the comm license, holding out and the like. In all, a friendly and comfortable conversation - I certainly felt the butterflies go away pretty quickly.

On to the air. I preflighted while he sought refuge in air conditioning. It was mugggggggggggy and hot at 10am. Briefed the flight, and PIC issues, so our roles and his expectations were clear. Taxi, takeoff, and dodge traffic left and right. For a really hazy Philly day there were a LOT of bogies out there. I've never seen it so busy on such a relatively crummy (maybe 6m vis) day. Went into the maneuvers - slow flight, into power-off stall, into power-on stall. Clean up and segue into steep turns, my option to do one after another. Straighten out and, Ooops, engine failed. Actually it was running "rough" and we discussed what to do about it.

Precautionary shutdown over KTTN, followed by SE maneuvers, then restart and into a VMc demo (which was probably the best I've done). Hood on, over to KPNE for the ILS24 and oops, that darn engine failed just as I was getting cleared for the approach. Handled the engine out and sim shutdown fine, but flew the most raggedy-assed ILS in my life. With 2 engines I'd have gone around.

Land, taxi back, lose engine on takeoff roll, which is ALWAYS exciting even though you know it's coming. Continue the takeoff, climb out, oops, there's that darn engine again. Trouble shoot, he asks "What are you going to do?" My answer - secure the engine and go back to land. "Good answer, look, your engine is back!!"

Into Wings pattern for a short field approach. On short final, whoops, dog (or maybe a tractor) on the runway -- go around. I wasn't expecting that, and was very focused on the landing, but fortunately didn't bungle things. Come back again for another short field (which, again, not my best effort. Short, but too much flare - didn't bring the A game with me). Short field takeoff, circle the pattern, normal landing, taxi back. Done. No negative comments = Passed the ride.

Finished up the paperwork while debriefing. He's an old-time airline pilot, so a staunch proponent of perfectly centered needles. Not just not moving, he wants them CENTERED. A good practice to insist upon. Also commented that I need to be smoother with my power/prop application - just because it's an emergency doesn't mean you CRAM it. Finally, he was very complimentary of my cockpit management and knowledge. He urged me to go for a CFI because he thought I have the makings of a good one. That felt like high praise, indeed. A nice way to wrap it up.

So I walked out of the flight school, sat in my car, and thought to myself "I am a commercial, multi-engine pilot." It felt good.

Thanks for the write-up, that sounds like fun! I'll be going for my multi comm one day... it'll be a bit of a ways off, though.

I'm about 5 hours into my multi-add on. Your making me excited, but nervous also.

Back