Comm Gyro add-on hours required

Gucci Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gucci Pilot
I keep hearing people tell me that the minimum required hours for the Commercial Gyro Add-On is 25 hours. Yet when I look at the regs, it looks like it is actually 30. Am I missing something?

For a gyroplane rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and gyroplane class rating must log at least 150 hours of flight time as a pilot (of which 5 hours may have been accomplished in a full flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a gyroplane) that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 25 hours must be in gyroplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least

(i) 10 hours in gyroplanes; and

(ii) 3 hours in cross-country flight in gyroplanes.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(4) of this part that includes at least—

(i) 2.5 hours on the control and maneuvering of a gyroplane solely by reference to instruments using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. This aeronautical experience may be performed in an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or an aviation training device;

(ii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a gyroplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iii) Two hours of flight training during nighttime conditions in a gyroplane at an airport, that includes 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern); and

(iv) Three hours in a gyroplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a gyroplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a gyroplane with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph (d)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(4) that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight with landings at a minimum of three points, with one segment consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern).

Looks like 30 to me, assuming you do not have a gyro private.
61.63 only eliminates the time requirements for an additional class rating.
You need 10 PIC so you'll need a solo endorsement since you aren't rated in gyros.
And you need 20 training hours, during which you can't log PIC time.

Im going with 30 as well.

Looks like 30 to me, assuming you do not have a gyro private.
61.63 only eliminates the time requirements for an additional class rating.
You need 10 PIC so you'll need a solo endorsement since you aren't rated in gyros.
And you need 20 training hours, during which you can't log PIC time.

Im going with 30 as well.
Of the 20 hours training, less than 10 is required to be in gyroplanes, the way I read it.

Of the 20 hours training, less than 10 is required to be in gyroplanes, the way I read it.

The way I read it is since 61.127 says flight and ground training "that apply to the...category and class..." and 61.129 (3) says "20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(4)." I'm not sure how you could get 20 hours of training for proficiency in a gyroplane flying something else.

However, being as it's not explicit, I could see it being interpreted the way you read it.

The way I read it is since 61.127 says flight and ground training "that apply to the...category and class..." and 61.129 (3) says "20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(4)." I'm not sure how you could get 20 hours of training for proficiency in a gyroplane flying something else.

However, being as it's not explicit, I could see it being interpreted the way you read it.
That’s exactly why I interpret it that way...it’s not explicit, and the items listed in 61.127(b)(4) don’t add to the 9.5 hours (which can also be reduced) that would cover the specifics of 61.129(3).

That’s exactly why I interpret it that way...it’s not explicit, and the items listed in 61.127(b)(4) don’t add to the 9.5 hours (which can also be reduced) that would cover the specifics of 61.129(3).

i only came up with 7 if you fly the 2.5 hours of hood time on the cross countries. :D

However, I question whether or not someone is ready to be signed off for solo after 7.5 or 9 hours.

Back