COMM Experience requirements question.

I'm sorry , I don't believe this.
Feel free to contact your local FSDO and have them obtain written guidance from AFS-810 (the office which sets policy for practical tests). I'm reasonably certain what they tell you is what I said. Or you can just show up for a CP practical test that way and risk being sent home before the test starts -- assuming you can even get a CFI to sign the required endorsement on that basis.

Feel free to contact your local FSDO and have them obtain written guidance from AFS-810 (the office which sets policy for practical tests). I'm reasonably certain what they tell you is what I said. Or you can just show up for a CP practical test that way and risk being sent home before the test starts -- assuming you can even get a CFI to sign the required endorsement on that basis.

From AOPA article on the subject.

The FAA’s new clarification of that LOI said in part, “We anticipate that for commercial pilot applicants who already hold an instrument rating, the hours of instrument training used to obtain that rating will meet at least some, if not most, or quite often, meet all the requirements for instrument aeronautical experience as required under 61.129.”

My instrument training notes say things like "practice approach VOR xxx to xxx" "partial panel" "unusual attitudes" " turns, climbs and descents". I (And apparently the FAA) Expects that instructors will log time towards the instrument rating in this fashion and it WILL count towards the CP requirements.

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2010/101220FAA_clarification_on_letter_of_interpretation.html

Well, I'll let you know in a few weeks. My CFI certainly is willing to sign the endorsement, and I'm planning to take the CP practical test shortly after I get back from my vacation next week... I'll report back then.

From AOPA article on the subject.

My instrument training notes say things like "practice approach VOR xxx to xxx" "partial panel" "unusual attitudes" " turns, climbs and descents". I (And apparently the FAA) Expects that instructors will log time towards the instrument rating in this fashion and it WILL count towards the CP requirements.

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2010/101220FAA_clarification_on_letter_of_interpretation.html
I agree on that one, but not for XC's performed during pre-PPL training, which was the question I was answering.

What sucks is that as a renter, my insurance will go up as a "reward" for getting the comm.

Ben, why would your insurance go up with additional training?? I think my commercial ticket has benefited me on the insurance front over the last thirty years.

Ben, why would your insurance go up with additional training?? I think my commercial ticket has benefited me on the insurance front over the last thirty years.

I'll have to check again, but I think AOPA's renters insurance is more if you have the comm.

I'll have to check again, but I think AOPA's renters insurance is more if you have the comm.

It is if you want insurance for commercial operations. But if you just have a comm ticket and don't do commercial ops, then I don't think it costs more.

It is if you want insurance for commercial operations. But if you just have a comm ticket and don't do commercial ops, then I don't think it costs more.

I still can't find my policy--I'll have to call tomorrow for a copy. But what you say makes sense.

Back