Comm breaking squelch - follow up from AOPA post

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
I posted a history of my attempt to fix a problems with my #1 comm. It started breaking squelch over a year ago in the presence of high RF. It got progressivly worse and I've been working on it for the last 5 months.

Well I think it is finally fixed. Or at least very much better. Yesterday's test flight couldn't produce the problem at any of the spots near home. I believe it was a ground. After eliminating antennas, radio itself and other things I asked for more suggestions. Lance and Bill both suggest grounds among other things. I spent last Saturday cleaning and tightening every ground I could find or reach from the engine to the battery. Could fly due to weather and work till yesterday. And lo and behold, no squelch break. I say I believe it was ground because I also clean up the ELT antenna connections. And I couldn't say which ground. I didn't find any overt problems and I didn't take the time to test fly after each cleaning. Anyway, at least I know it can be fixed.

Still frustrates me the shop was ready to blame 'aging radios'.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric

ejensen said:
Still frustrates me the shop was ready to blame 'aging radios'.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric

Eric, glad it worked.

My experience with avionics shops has been less than stellar. The radio you have is (relatively) not that old, and if it went back through the factory, it should be performing almost as well as it did when it was built. It's not like the old radios that had about 50 crystals in them.....

Great news, Eric. Didn't you mention that you had work done on the ELT just before this problem started showing up? Betcha you resolved it when you worked over the ELT antenna...

wsuffa said:
Eric, glad it worked.

My experience with avionics shops has been less than stellar. The radio you have is (relatively) not that old, and if it went back through the factory, it should be performing almost as well as it did when it was built. It's not like the old radios that had about 50 crystals in them.....

That was my thoughts exactly. And NARCO seemed both interested and open about working on the problem. If there was a known issue, I think they would have told me. I even told the shop that I know my wiring was 40 years of various quality work in an Mooney and should I take it somewhere else. Anyway, Thanks again. At least now I'll know where to start if it happens again.

Eric

gkainz said:
Great news, Eric. Didn't you mention that you had work done on the ELT just before this problem started showing up? Betcha you resolved it when you worked over the ELT antenna...

I wish I'd had the luxury to test one thing at a time. ELT cable gets stressed at the connection when any work in done in the tail cone. If you don't think to disconnect, you lay right on it. I'm going to replace that cable even if it wasn't the problem.

Eric

Glad you fixed it Eric. Good job. For me, avionics and electrical problems are absolutely the most annoying and frustrating thing about aircraft ownership.

Back