comm 1. static

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
What could be causing random static in our radio? Its intermitent but was worse in rough air flight. We tried to reduce squelch but it didnt help much. Any ideas? Narco comms.

A bad coax connection to the antenna/radio/intercom. It would explain it getting worse in turbulence. Somewhere something is grounding that shouldn't be.

A bad coax connection to the antenna/radio/intercom. It would explain it getting worse in turbulence. Somewhere something is grounding that shouldn't be.

Theres a loose port for the pilot side mics. Would that do anything? Needs to be tightened up. How else can this be trouble shot without spending a bunch?

Theres a loose port for the pilot side mics. Would that do anything? Needs to be tightened up. How else can this be trouble shot without spending a bunch?

I would start there. You can try wriggling the port around with your headset connected and the radios on. If that produces the same static then that's most likely your issue. The fix then is to tighten it up like you said. If it is still present then the port is bad or there is a bad connection somewhere upstream.

What could be causing random static in our radio? Its intermitent but was worse in rough air flight. We tried to reduce squelch but it didnt help much. Any ideas? Narco comms.

With radios it's always a grounding issue.

I was getting it intermittent. Turned out it was noise from the markers. Disabled the audio on the markers and no more cracklings.

Mine was the push-to-talk mic button was closing intermittantly. I had the radio pulled and tested before I found the $3.45 fix.

I went out at lunch and tested things. Tightened up the pilot mic port, did nothing...then I turned off the beacon and the noise stopped completely and it was clear and crisp. Then I turned the beacon back on and the static came back. So I assume it must be a ground back by the tail. Does this sound about right? I did notice that the tail light was missing a screw and was loose. would that have anything to do with this?? or is it strictly something near the beacon?
thanks

My big issue was using plug for a lighter as a power source for my small fan. Un plugged it and the static went away for good.

Charging an iPhone seems to do it on our 480 as well...

I didn't mean I used it for a lighter. I was trying to say it was used to power a little fan that I bought at autozone.

I didn't mean I used it for a lighter. I was trying to say it was used to power a little fan that I bought at autozone.

ya I didnt meant to put lighter either, lol. my bad. I meant use it as a plug-in. I printed off the wiring diagram today and bought a wire tester. time to get to work.

ya I didnt meant to put lighter either, lol. my bad. I meant use it as a plug-in. I printed off the wiring diagram today and bought a wire tester. time to get to work.

Did'ja notice that everything mentioned used a power supply that could have GONE noisy over the years or be a switching supply that started off life noisy.

Jim

Back