coming up on 3 years

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
?Soon I will have owned my present plane for 3 years. I seem to recall hearing about something called a triennial registration but i cannot find anything on the FAA web site about it. Am I supposed to do something in regards to registration at the 3 year point?

You don't have to do anything if the info they send you on a card is correct. (Basically if nothing has changed since you bought it, do nothing.)

You don't have to do anything if the info they send you on a card is correct. (Basically if nothing has changed since you bought it, do nothing.)
Finally got it today and everything is correct on it. So I do nothing! I like that!

Last edited:
no, you dont do nothing. you have to sign it and mail it back to them.

The triennial card is a probe to see if the address is correct. If it gets returned then will begin a process that could lead to cancellation of the registration, which is a new deal thanks to the Department of Homeland SNAFU.

Being that I moved - and I SWEAR I updated my address but I must have missed the registration - I got the dire warning cards (forwarded to me by the USPS AND the FAA based on the USPS address correction (Doh!)

I replied with certified, return receipt.

I talked to the aircraft rep at Oshkosh to verify the plane was still good. At that point they didn't have the new address, whcih I has sent just before leaving, but I wasn't far down the cancel trail. She said if the registration is canceled, it's a very, very, very tough process to get it straightened out.

Oh. And the aircraft registration branch doesn't have an online change of address like the airman branch does, sorta like how you can request your airman records be kept private but not aircraft records. :dunno: You are allowed to put the registration at an address other than your home (although now (smelling DHS again) you also have to provide your physical address, which I hope is kept private.

BTW, when you check N numbers you can see those with "Triennial card returned as undeliverable," which are ones that are gonna be available soon. I gotta guess a lot of cool numbers are held by people and aircraft long dead.

Wha? I recently got one too and I swear it said if everything on it was correct, nothing needed to be done. I remember thinking, "what's the catch?"

That is not what the card says at all.

In big block letters in 2 locations it states:
Detach and return only if corrections are made.

and

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Complete and return this form ONLY if the information provided on the reverse side is incorrect.

From those instruction it sounds to me that since everything is correct on the registration that I do nothing. I do not sign and I do not return the card.

In fact one of the areas to sign is labeled "I (we) request cancellation of the registration for the above reason". I most definitely do not want to sign there. The other spot to sign is for an address change.

Perhaps they changed the form since the last time you did it??

That is not what the card says at all.

In big block letters in 2 locations it states:
Detach and return only if corrections are made.

and

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Complete and return this form ONLY if the information provided on the reverse side is incorrect.

From those instruction it sounds to me that since everything is correct on the registration that I do nothing. I do not sign and I do not return the card.

In fact one of the areas to sign is labeled "I (we) request cancellation of the registration for the above reason". I most definitely do not want to sign there. The other spot to sign is for an address change.

Perhaps they changed the form since the last time you did it??

Yeah, I saw that and was about to sign in the wrong box. Talk about attractive nuisance.

I think it always said you don't have to do anything. As above they're looking for the card to returned as undeliverable by the USPS.

I wonder if the USPS knows to to treat the official card with more care. Good thing they don't know that the USPS in Chicago would happily deliver it to a random homeless guy. :rolleyes:

hmmm

the same FSDO guy who got me started on the operator thing said all we had to do with the triennial is sign it and return it. sigh.

Gee a guy at the FSDO doesn't know what he's talking about. There's a change of pace. :rofl:

I wonder if the USPS knows to to treat the official card with more care. Good thing they don't know that the USPS in Chicago would happily deliver it to a random homeless guy. :rolleyes:

So maybe some homeless guy in Chi Town is now the proud registered owner of what used to be your plane. :dunno: :yes: :rofl:

I've got 11 years and change on my plane and I've never sent it back in. I did move once and notified OKC and it the card showed up at the new address. I get a lot of service bulletin stuff in the mail from Cessna, Textron, and vacuum pump manufacturers too.

Well I finally got my registration on N4793T the other day. Only took OKC 4 months to sort that out :)

Back