Coming home!

BillG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Greenberg
:goofy: Woohoo! I talked to the mechanic today and my Tiger is finally ready to be picked up. He said the new engine is running great and the plane is in great shape. Let's hope he's more right than the guy who did my pre-buy inspection! :) If the weather is ok in the morning I'm heading out to pick it up. It's looking iffy, as it has for weeks now, but I'm hoping the clouds will be high enough to be able to go. Woohoo!!:yes:

BillG said:
:goofy: Woohoo! I talked to the mechanic today and my Tiger is finally ready to be picked up. He said the new engine is running great and the plane is in great shape. Let's hope he's more right than the guy who did my pre-buy inspection! :) If the weather is ok in the morning I'm heading out to pick it up. It's looking iffy, as it has for weeks now, but I'm hoping the clouds will be high enough to be able to go. Woohoo!!:yes:

Great News Bill, have a great flight.

Woo hoo!!! Take a camera, we want to see pics of your baby once you get her home!!

Congrats Bill!

Do a good thorough pre-flight, say a quick prayer and have a safe flight home!

Remember, don't baby that engine, keep her cool and run her hard.

EXCELLENT BILL! I'm very happy for you! Sounds like your break in will be the flight home rather than sticking to the local field. If so remember the higher fuelconsumption folks spoke about with Lens break in. Fly Safe!

Please, please, please don't just write the check and leave. Do a test flight, including a few traffic patterns, and then LAND, SHUT DOWN and check for leaks and anything out of the ordinary.

And THEN you can enjoy your new toy!

That's great Bill! I was having sympathy Grumman pains for you. See it wasn't that long after all. You will LOVE the Tiger.

Ken's point about testing it out first is a good one. Take the mech for a ride.

I'm real happy to hear this good news but it aint over yet. Besides, wasn't it Bill who proclaimed himself as Bad Luck?

Anyhoo, go get 'er, Tiger!

:goofy: I'm home...! It was a beautiful flight out there in my buddy's Archer II. The plane was all ready for me when I got there, finished up the paperwork and chatted with the mechanic who did the work. Much nicer guy than the ones who were giving me the runaround last week (that's another topic for a different day). Of course I did a thorough pre-flight, then brought the mechanic out to look at a couple of things I had questions about, then my buddy and I went up for a test flight. The engine was run-in already but is still in the break-in period so I minimized ground time and climb time and did circles around the airport for a while. After landing the mechanic looked it over, proclaimed it healthy, and I was on my way! Much bumpier than the flight out, but a couple hours later I was safely home. And 20 minutes after that my buddy arrived home in his Archer. Ahh - it was nice to beat him finally!! (I could never do that in the Skyhawk.)

I'll attach a couple pictures my friend took today, and if you're interested in more details you can look at a copy of the ad I first saw: http://www.goodcomputerguy.com/n28991/index.html

I'm EXHAUSTED now - that's it for me...!

Last edited:
Thanks... The overhauled engine and new propeller are a good start, but it'll be even better looking after I install a Garmin 430 (480?), complete new leather interior, and paint it... :)

BillG said:
Thanks... The overhauled engine and new propeller are a good start, but it'll be even better looking after I install a Garmin 430 (480?), complete new leather interior, and paint it... :)

I have heard a couple shops say that if you install a 480 you really should combine it with an MX20 because the 480 at times is hard to read and it does not provide a lot of VFR information (base map).

Nice Tiger! Glad you got it home Bill!

Thanks - it sure is great to have her home finally. And as an extra bonus, my old Skyhawk came to visit shortly after I landed in the Tiger! (C'mon, Charles, I know you're lurking out there - say hi and tell your story!)

Charles soloed a couple days after he bought the Skyhawk from me, passed his private checkride a couple of weeks ago, and has put 70 hours on the plane since he bought it. That's the right way to use an airplane...!

Back