Comenity Bank Credit Cards

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I got one a few weeks ago. Comenity does lotsa specialty type cards. Like say the Home Depot Card, The (name a store) Card, etc. Mine is the AAA card. I didn't apply for it, just got it because Bank of America used to do the AAA Card but quit and now Comenity has it. Get 5% cash back for gas, 3% for groceries, restaurants and travel and 1% for everything else. Got my first statement from them and yeah, 5, 3 and 1% is how it works, no tricks. I'm just gonna use it for the 5 and 3% stuff. Got another card with a flat 2% on everything. I pay in full every month. They gotta be losing money on me. So I'm wondering, how long is it likely to last. Anyone here have a Comenity card like this? Had for it a while and used it like me? Did they eventually change the terms?

They ain't losing money. All that gets passed along to the merchants. The 5% thing is almost certainly a limited duration anyhow.

They ain't losing money. All that gets passed along to the merchants. The 5% thing is almost certainly a limited duration anyhow.
That's what I was figuring. Limited duration. I don't think they're getting 5, or even 3% per transaction from the Merchant.

That's what I was figuring. Limited duration. I don't think they're getting 5, or even 3% per transaction from the Merchant.

It depends on how the merchant is dealing with his payment processor. This generally fits into one of two models: a higher flat rate (this is your $.XX + 2.5%) that you normally get for things like PayPal/Stripe/etc...
The other ins a pass-through pricing which is what the credit card company themselves charges plus a small additional amount for your processor. Transaction fees are indeed higher when the customer uses a rewards card.

Every purchase I make is on a cash-back/points credit card and paid off each month. Saves me well over $1K/year just on the same stuff I'd be buying anyway.

I use a Costco card for fuel. 4% discount for avgas. Since my home airport is small, my hangar rent goes through as "Gas" - another 4% off.

Is it issued through Comenity Bank.
Nah, just one of the many 2% cash back on everything cards. First National Bank of Omaha I believe, used to be a dedicated QuikTrip fuel card, but then QT decided to axe their credit card and transferred it to FNBO.

Major branding cards are Citi, Comeenity, Synchrony, and Capital One. I canceled just about every CapitalOne card I had after a customer relations nightmare.

I got that AAA card too for the same reason. I'm curious to see if I get 5% on avgas purchases (I've had occasional success with other cards).

I got that AAA card too for the same reason. I'm curious to see if I get 5% on avgas purchases (I've had occasional success with other cards).
Did you used to get the ‘fuel’ rate with the BOA version of the AAA card? If so, I’m pretty sure you’ll get it with the new one. It’s about how the Merchant identifies itself.

Did you used to get the ‘fuel’ rate with the BOA version of the AAA card? If so, I’m pretty sure you’ll get it with the new one. It’s about how the Merchant identifies itself.

I might have. I do recall other cards would do a quarterly 5% promo and I'd sometimes get the 5% back on avgas.

Back