Come to Maine

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
My guest room here in Georgetown has a standing invitation to any PoA who'll fly into Wiscasset KIWI(about 12sm from here). All I need is an hour or two notice and I can pick you up at the airport.

HR

Attachments

• Grey Havens_1.jpg
    Grey Havens_1.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Grey Havens_2.jpg
    Grey Havens_2.jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Grey Havens_3.jpg
    Grey Havens_3.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Grey Havens_4.jpg
    Grey Havens_4.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 5
Of course that's not my house. However, if y'all should arrive a la The 3rd Infantry, Grey Havens Inn is run by a couple friends just 4½ miles down the road. It was originally a private home which overlooks the ocean; however, it's been an inn for many decades.

http://www.greyhavens.com/photos-out.html The photos in the website are by the daughter of the owners. Tiffany has a photographic studio in what used to be the rear section of my former camera store.

:eek:)

Oh; speaking of Tiffany, she has for sale a Nikon DSLR with a short zoom(Nikkor) for a really good price. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get more information. But the price she mentioned to me is extremely good; I just don't remember what. She's upgraded to the Nikon D300(I think) and the For Sale pieces have had only limited use.

HR

The bride and I were just there. Had a wonderful time, even extended the stay by a day. Shot an approach into IWI last Tuesday am, stayed until Saturday AM. Lodged at the Rocktide Inn in Boothbay Harbor. Nice quiet little inn right on the harbor. Chose it because it has a three day cancellation policy, rather than the 14 days required by most. Rented a car (Enterprise delivered it to the FBO, and we returned it the same way) and drove up to Rockland. Not our cup of tea, but loved the back roads from just north of Pemaquid down to Southport. The Botanical garden was first rate, and I'm not really much for that sort of thing. Went sea kayaking, whale watching (in a dense fog, but it was fun anyway), and ate lobster every different way we could order it.
Weather was not really conducive to doing a lot of flying during our stay, but the flight home was ceiling unlimited and vis. 100 miles. Could see from the coast all the way to the mountains.
Great fun, great people up there. We'll be back.

You picked a great location to visit; sorry we didn't make contact. Next time! For those who may not be familiar with where you stayed I've attached a few shots I took last summer when I was piloting my boat in and around the moorings in the harbor.

HR

Anyone who has seen the motion picture Carousel(Gordon McRae, Shirley Jones, Robert Roundsville(sp?), Cameron Mitchell), it was filmed in Boothbay Harbor about 50 years ago. Frank Sinatra was supposed to be the Leading man but he put up a stink about most of it not being filmed in a Hollywood sound stage and threatened to quit the production. He didn't, because he was replaced by Gordon McRae, who later went on to star again with Shirley Jones in Oklahoma.

Attachments

• Rocktide Inn_1.jpg
    Rocktide Inn_1.jpg
    974.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Rocktide Inn_2.jpg
    Rocktide Inn_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • B.H. Catholic Church.jpg
    B.H. Catholic Church.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Back