Combining Logbooks

bigevil

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bigevil
I'm a novice student pilot with only 11 hours logged so far yet because of various circumstances I have my time in 4 different logbooks. Most of my time is in my one main large asa logbook but I have three separate flights in different cheapo logbooks since I was on various trips around the country and got to get up for an hour here or there at random small airports (I hadn't yet started bringing my logbook with me when I traveled).

Anyway, is there any harm in simply cutting out the entries from the cheapo books and taping them in my good logbook? I've made scans/copies of the entries in case I mess them up (if the CFIs were local I'd just go get the entries in my main logbook).

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this,

thanks so much

I'd just write in the entries needed and make a footnote as to the original entry location. Then keep the originals of the other logbooks intact for reference if needed. Ultimately, you're only talking a few hours so it is probably not a huge deal in the long run.

You can do that, or you can just copy the data into your "main" log by hand and keep the others for original documentation if needed.

You can do that, or you can just copy the data into your "main" log by hand and keep the others for original documentation if needed.

Is there any way of transposing the information, and having an FSDO review the information as accurate, and put some sort of validation in your logbook to acknowledge validity up to this point in the logbook?

Well, it would just be easier to keep the old logbooks as the validation. Go ahead and combine, but keep the old books as proof.

Is there any way of transposing the information, and having an FSDO review the information as accurate, and put some sort of validation in your logbook to acknowledge validity up to this point in the logbook?

The IACRA serves this purpose and you had it done for your checkride. Dunno if a student could do anything similar.

:popcorn:

Well, it would just be easier to keep the old logbooks as the validation. Go ahead and combine, but keep the old books as proof.
:yeahthat:
In any event, the FSDO does not "validate" logbooks -- you do, with your own signature. That's why, if you lose your logbook and put your best guess of the time in the lost log into a new book, the FAA says to put a statement in the front of the log attesting to the accuracy of the recovered data, and then signing that attestation before a Notary Public. Of course, you may be asked by the FAA to provide whatever documentation you might have to support that recovered time (bills from flight schools/FBO's, old 8710-1's, CAP flight records, whatever) if they examine your logbook, but they aren't in the business of "validating" it.

Last edited:
:yeahthat:
In any event, the FSDO does not "validate" logbooks -- you do, with your own signature. That's why, if you lose your logbook and put your best guess of the time in the lost log into a new book, the FAA says to put a statement in the front of the log attesting to the accuracy of the recovered data, and then signing that attestation before a Notary Public. Of course, you may be asked by the FAA to provide whatever documentation you might have to support that recovered time (bills from flight schools/FBO's, old 8710-1's, CAP flight records, whatever) if they examine your logbook, but they aren't in the business of "validating" it.

The FAA does not require having the statement in the logbook "notarized".

From 8900.1, Vol. 5, Ch 1, Sec 8

5-172 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Inspectors should advise airmen that they may reconstruct lost logbooks or flight records by providing a signed statement of previous flight time.

A. Proof of Experience. Airmen may use the following items to substantiate flight time and experience:

·
Aircraft logbooks,
·
Receipts for aircraft rentals,
·
Operator records,
·
Copies of airman medical files, and
·
Copies of FAA Form 8710‑1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=25B3E5500BF6DAF98525734F00766653

The FAA does not require having the statement in the logbook "notarized".

From 8900.1, Vol. 5, Ch 1, Sec 8

5-172 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Inspectors should advise airmen that they may reconstruct lost logbooks or flight records by providing a signed statement of previous flight time.

A. Proof of Experience. Airmen may use the following items to substantiate flight time and experience:

· Aircraft logbooks,
· Receipts for aircraft rentals,
· Operator records,
· Copies of airman medical files, and
· Copies of FAA Form 8710‑1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=25B3E5500BF6DAF98525734F00766653
You should have kept reading.
5-321 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Aeronautical experience requirements must be shown for a person to be eligible for the issuance or to exercise the privileges of a pilot certificate. A pilot who has lost logbooks or flight time records should be reminded that any fraudulent or intentional false statements concerning aeronautical experience are a basis for suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating held. The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the ASI accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence, such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, and statements of flight operators.
Section 5-321.
http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=B74C0C068A61DE638525734F00766659

You need an english class. The operative word is "may", not "shall". Know the difference?

Also know what "discretion" means? And why it would be used in this instance?

The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the ASI accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record.

Last edited:
You need an english class. The operative word is "may", not "shall". Know the difference?

Also know what "discretion" means? And why it would be used in this instance?
Right -- at their discretion, they may use a signed and notarized statement. No discretion is granted to use anything not signed and notarized. The only discretion my 8th grade English teacher (Mrs. Grotz, if you need to know) might find in that paragraph is how much supporting material is required.

Right -- at their discretion, they may use a signed and notarized statement. No discretion is granted to use anything not signed and notarized. The only discretion my 8th grade English teacher (Mrs. Grotz, if you need to know) might find in that paragraph is how much supporting material is required.

You're once again twisting this to meet your own interpretation.

This was covered at the Academy during STRING indoctrination. The key word here is discretion so the Inspector may, or may not want the signature notarized. There is a distinct reason for wanting the signature notarized and doesn't apply to most people meeting this part of the Order.

Do you actually understand what a notarized signature is??

Last edited:
I'm just reading what's there. You're the one twisting it based in what you claim someone said at the Academy. Not worth arguing with you further. :bye:

I'm just reading what's there. You're the one twisting it based in what you claim someone said at the Academy. Not worth arguing with you further. :bye:

Have you attended the Academy?

Agree with Ron on this. The way I read it, the ASI may accept it as evidence, providing it is deemed credible.

A notary stamp simply signifies that the document contains an authentic signature, not that the document is true.

So, if accepted, the attestation can later be used to hang said pilot if found falsifying the record.

The way I read it, the ASI may accept it as evidence, providing it is deemed credible.

A notary stamp simply signifies that the document contains an authentic signature, not that the document is true.

So, if accepted, the attestation can later be used to hang said pilot if found falsifying the record.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

I'm bringing this thread back... Was doing some work in my computer room the other night with one of my youngins running around. Noticed he got quiet. Turns out my 2 year old son decided to sign my logbook. By sign, I mean draw in ink and Crayola on several pages making some of the entries illegible. Should I replace the logbook with a new one? I have no plans to fly professionally or anything like that, just getting ready to start my instrument training. The thought of having a CFII sign it makes me wonder if I should move all the info into a new book. Thoughts?

You can always start a new log book ,and keep the old books for ,verification of sign offs and logged time.

You can always start a new log book ,and keep the old books for ,verification of sign offs and logged time.

That's what I would do.

Bob Gardner

Back