Combat NDB

Warlock

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Warlock
I made a comment on a thread about NDB's in the student section and came across this looking for a kneeboard and thought some would find it interesting. Although a dinosaur, not long ago its all I had as an Army Aviator flying Attack Aircraft. Yes we were IFR certified with a single NDB in the aircraft with PAR backup. (Never happen civilian side) For twenty years I took annual Instrument Check rides with a single NDB. Everyone else had multiple instruments but we did not. (AH-1, AH-64A) We did have a Doppler Navigation system but unreliable and primary use was not navigation, but was there to help with firing solutions for the weapons systems through the fire control computer.

This is a Approach Plate circa 1997 for Bosnia. Just for us gun guys. The waypoints are from the Doppler which you could update crossing the NDB. Note the approach speed and emergency letdown minimums and instructions...Also Air Force never could seem to keep that NDB running half the time when we might need it in the middle of the night. This area is in a bowl surrounded by mountains. Most of us felt we had about a 50/50 chance if we ever needed to use it. Push the Head, Pull the Tail was about all we needed to know...of course that may be the reason why they had it that way.

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 281
Back