Comanche in Turbulence awful compared to everything I've flown.

Hi,

I have flown L4/J3 and PA18 quite a lot... is the PA17 worse or similar to those in regard to gusts?

Tobias

Tobias,
A little worse.
The PA-17 is shorter and fatter then the J3 and PA-18, has shorter wings (by 3 or 4 feet), with the same size rudder, making it quite close coupled.
It's landing gear is also a little longer, so the nose is up higher. But the visibility forward is better.
All those things make it a little more "sporty" while it's on the ground. And the plane wants to weather vane, strongly, requiring a deft touch with the rudder.
I've only been flying it since September, So we are still getting to know each other. :)

I don't respect mine that much, nor does anyone else in the Mooney community. The only way to keep a Mooney out of the yellow on descent is to drop the gear. But Mooneys are stout, so most of us just don't worry about it overmuch.
… maule have a fabric coated fuselage… and ours is a bit beaten because of all the towing…

Tobias,
A little worse.
The PA-17 is shorter and fatter then the J3 and PA-18, has shorter wings (by 3 or 4 feet), with the same size rudder, making it quite close coupled.
It's landing gear is also a little longer, so the nose is up higher. But the visibility forward is better.
All those things make it a little more "sporty" while it's on the ground. And the plane wants to weather vane, strongly, requiring a deft touch with the rudder.
I've only been flying it since September, So we are still getting to know each other. :)

Thanks for the explanation! Let's see, maybe I get to fly one some day.

Tobias

Back