Columbia Airport (O22) Yosemite area

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Flew from my home airport to Columbia Airport yesterday for my long commercial XC.

Fabulous flight, nice airport. Camping on the airport - you can taxi your airplane to the campground. I have a new bucket list item, and a reason to not get rid of all that old backpacking equipment I haven't used in years.

Approach to landing was a little challenging at first, had to do a go around because I wasn't set up right. Second time around it was no problem. Terrain makes it a little hard to judge things until you get the lay of the land.

Anyone else have experience with that airport?

That was my first passenger flight and I have been there many times since. They get some wind and it gets bumpy on final (usually). It is a nice easy walk to the historic ghost town. There is a good ice cream place on your way in and several places for lunch. There are better fly in camping options in the area, though. Little River (you need a lift to the campground, though), Pismo (Oceano) you can camp on the field, Shelter Cove (right next to the field), Pine Mountain Lake (near Yosemite and about two miles to the campground), Truckee and South Lake Tahoe (have to have the right plane). There is some stuff up near Trinity, but I haven't tried it.

I have been there a few times, it was in fact my second x-country destination when working on my PPL.

Flew from my home airport to Columbia Airport yesterday for my long commercial XC.

Fabulous flight, nice airport. Camping on the airport - you can taxi your airplane to the campground. I have a new bucket list item, and a reason to not get rid of all that old backpacking equipment I haven't used in years.

Approach to landing was a little challenging at first, had to do a go around because I wasn't set up right. Second time around it was no problem. Terrain makes it a little hard to judge things until you get the lay of the land.

Anyone else have experience with that airport?
Been there once. Great destination. Walked the path into town, took about 3 minutes I think.

I've camped there many times, it's one of my favourites!

They do aIMG_1456.jpg
big Father's Day event there and we do a big canard event there too.

Been there quite a few times. I imagine right now it's busy shuttling CDF fire planes. It's one of their bases.

Back