Colorado town seeks to pay bounty for shooting UAVs

How do these gerbonies know it's really an unmanned aircraft? Sheesh.

Aw, c'mon...at $25 bucks/permit how many guys would buy one just to say they had bought a Drone Hunting Permit? AND pull it out of their wallet and show it to their buddies? "Hey, y'all lookit this!"

And you're talking about a town of less than 600 citizens- all politics aside, this is easier to operate than a speed trap. Cha-ching.

Aw, c'mon...at $25 bucks/permit how many guys would buy one just to say they had bought a Drone Hunting Permit? AND pull it out of their wallet and show it to their buddies? "Hey, y'all lookit this!"

And you're talking about a town of less than 600 citizens- all politics aside, this is easier to operate than a speed trap. Cha-ching.

And the nonresident Drone Hunting Permit is $500:rofl::mad2:

We had a group come to our little neck of the woods and did a little demo on what is coming with these drones.

I will post a small video later. But from what I saw these come in different flavors, everything from the multi pod unit you see in the pic to a full blown RC helicopter able to carry load of around 30 lbs. can be in the air for 2 hrs with a 1/2 hr reserve.

These fly without the need for a pilot, it is GPS driven or flies by gps at 100'. Even lands and shuts down without the need of human input.

The other smaller units where pod units, they did have a fixed wing but I missed it. From what I understand it was hand launch.

These are all small units like a rc pilot would fly, the helicopter with software cost 75,000 bucks, it could cover a lot of ground fast without any pilot flying it from the ground.

For now until the FAA works this out they are flying under the AMA rules. Meaning they must stay under 400' and within line of site.

In other countries they are letting these be flown by FPV systems. First person view system where the pilot is flying by camera view.

If the town deems it legal, I'd think the FAA would be wrong about criminal penalties. Civil, on the other hand.....:dunno:

As usual, the government is taking contradictory positions. Political arrogance and neo-Nazi-ism seems to be all too common.

We are told/reassured that drones operated by our government domestically, will be only used professionally and for legitimate national security needs. However all too often government authorities use their position nefariously ranging from authoritarianism, cronyism, to voyeurism.

I have mixed feelings about domestic drone usage. If they were only used ethically for legitimate purposes; I would have no problem with it.

Allegedly government officials (often allowed authority, but under a veil of secrecy. With little or no disclosure. With little or no checks or balances) have already used government drones at taxpayer expense for voyeurism, stalking, and cronyism.

In the vast majority of cases, (domestically) I would consider it illegal to shoot at a drone. I would think it would be a crime criminally and civilly. I think it most cases it would be considered reckless and/or wanton public endangerment and reckless and/or wanton destruction of property to shoot at drones.

In most cases I think it could be and should be prosecuted under existing laws; rather than making vast sweeping laws that would mostly be redundant and in some cases would probably violate people's rights and legitimate uses.

I think the government has abused its use of domestic drones, however I think issuing drone hunting licenses and bounties for drones is an equally excessive absurd response.

As far as the federal government's proposal to make shooting down drones illegal. Would government use selective enforcement (prejudice) and/or would the government make itself exempt of laws to shoot down drones? Would aerial gunnery (testing and practice) be illegal? Would anti-ballistic missile tests be illegal? If terrorists were using drones, would it be illegal to shoot down a terrorist drone(s)? The government, legislation, judicial system and enforcement often lacks morality, reason and sense. Regretfully authorities often make laws and rules with no regards to the full consequences.

I find this story reminiscent of the reassurance we got that airport security screenings would be done in a professional manner, respect our rights, and that the images would not be saved. Yet to find out that many airport screeners have acted sophomoric, to use their security screening position to voyeur sexually, sexually harass the public, and allegedly hundreds of thousands of images have been saved indefinitely.

Often what is done under the guise of being good, ends up being used for evil. Often at taxpayer expense.

Last edited:
If the town deems it legal, I'd think the FAA would be wrong about criminal penalties. Civil, on the other hand.....:dunno:

If the town deemed it legal to shoot at red Ferraris driving through town over the speed limit, would that actually make it legal?

I cant wait to mount one up above the fireplace. :)

What's the daily limit?

It's Colorado after all. The Libs have deemed you only get a certain number of rounds in a magazine. You might lose the little bastard while reloading. (Not.)

LOL!

Doesn't much matter. The Second Amendment will be gone shortly.

eta6ytev.jpg

Doesn't much matter. The Second Amendment will be gone shortly.
Not that I think normally shooting UAV’s is ethical or safe. But there are some cases I think it is okay, safe and part of our protected rights.

Shooting RC Planes with Machine Guns at Big Sandy Shoot
http://youtu.be/RR5BtXP0s0o

LOL! That's awesome. Definitely not a day/night for the special Liberal Tiny Magazines, CryBaby(TM) Edition.

If more people saw machine gun shoots, they might be less inclined to send kids out in front of them. Just sayin'...

Choot em'!

I 100% support this, what I do on my property is my business, I don't need some govt worker spying on my kids, I'll take my chances with the "bad guys".

I can't wait for someone to shoot down some kid's toy. "Air Hogs...hmm must be some new fangled govmn't drone peakin at my wife!"

LOL! That's awesome. Definitely not a day/night for the special Liberal Tiny Magazines, CryBaby(TM) Edition.

You certainly seem to have a thing for liberals today.

If more people saw machine gun shoots, they might be less inclined to send kids out in front of them. Just sayin'...

That sounds like something a special Liberal Tiny Magazine, CryBaby(TM) Edition might say. :p

Personally, the whole idea of drones scares me on so many levels that I hope we never see them like the federal government hopes to do. However, I also think it is quite naïve of us to really think that the federal government needs drones to "spy" on us and see what we are doing. They have so many other ways, both the obvious, and the unexpected as has become quite apparent in the last few years. The Patriot act as far as I am concerned is anything but Patriotic.

The Patriot Act is rookie stuff. NDAA is our new friend in town. It was all legal and thus moral:rolleyes2: to blow up that journalists car under NDAA and no they don't have to tell you about it or draw a warrant.
Personally, the whole idea of drones scares me on so many levels that I hope we never see them like the federal government hopes to do. However, I also think it is quite naïve of us to really think that the federal government needs drones to "spy" on us and see what we are doing. They have so many other ways, both the obvious, and the unexpected as has become quite apparent in the last few years. The Patriot act as far as I am concerned is anything but Patriotic.

'don't want no impaired cowboy trying to decide if my little CT is a drone or an airplane, through a scope an a .270.

Joe Biden told us all to shot two blasts from a shotgun in the air. Now we know why. ;)

What some don't understand or know, is that legaly, anyone operating a UAS in the NAS for commercial purposes has to have an approved Certificate of Authorization from the FAA for the flight. The local PD or SO or state can't just throw up a UAS willy-nilly to do work. There needs to be paperwork in place about when, where and why a commercial entity is flying around a UAS. As for the privacy part, you ought to be more afraid of Junior from next door flying his quad-copter with a GoPro over your pool while your daughter is having a slumber-party, than the gov't seeing what you're putting on your steak on the grill.

Last edited:
you ought to be more afraid of Junior from next door flying his quad-copter with a GoPro over your pool while your daughter is having a slumber-party, than the gov't seeing what you're putting on your steak on the grill.

Because cops have never used their position to feed their deviant behaviors. Nope never happens. :rolleyes2:

Why shoot them? Just get a microwave transmitter and shoot a focused high powered beam to short it out. A directed EMP beam if you will.

Having driven thru Deer Tail a couple of times every year going to/from Steamboat Springs, I suspect there isn't much else to do there for recreation.

I might make up my own license and avoid the fee if a part time CO resident doesn't qualify for the cheap one. Any pictures? :D

Cheers

Back