Colorado, too.

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by murphey, Mar 26, 2020.

1. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    As of Wednesday evening, 3/25/2020, Colorado is now locked down for the general public other than the expected options (groceries, emergency medical, etc). Fortunately, I have multiple get-out-of-jail-free cards from 1) work, 2) civil air patrol and 3) angel flight (yes, under certain situations).

But, the office has declared we're all working from home. Yaaaa!!!!

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  2. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I ain’t goin’ nowherez. :)

3. murphey

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    More news: State of Colorado has extended the date to file state taxes to July 15, 2020.

4. Arrow76R

Arrow76R Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arrow76r
    And Colorado's governor Polis allows pot and liquor stores to stay open...but one person in one car cannot go to his/her hangar and fly solo around the patch. Of course this makes sense.

Ryanb likes this.
  5. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    I see a lot of people bitching about this sort of thing when it isn't actually prohibited in reality. Here in Wisconsin, it falls under the "outdoor activity" exemption, provided you're able to do your social distancing.

denverpilot and hindsight2020 like this.
  6. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    It's not addressed at all here in Vermont. And I haven't heard any planes the last couple of days, even though the weather has been ideal for flying, so I have to assume that most pilots here at least *think* it falls into the forbidden category.

7. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    It's not specifically addressed here either... But if you're allowed to go for a walk in the park while maintaining social distancing, why wouldn't you be allowed to fly your airplane around the patch solo if aviation isn't specifically addressed? Are you allowed to go for a walk outside in Vermont?

8. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I saw a couple small airplanes fly over the NW part of San Francisco today, and I thought about this thread. I know that the parks and beaches got so crowded last weekend that they shut down parking lots. Now they are asking people not to travel in order to go for a walk. Walk in your own neighborhood. Parks in my neighborhood were almost as crowded as on a regular weekend. I've learned to go for walks in the morning. By the afternoon, people are done with working from home or homeschooling and they are out in bigger numbers. I never would have guessed there were so many families living around here. I thought it was a neighborhood of old people with a few young singles or couples without children.

denverpilot likes this.
  9. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    You're allowed to go outside for specific purposes - and "exercise" is listed as one of those purposes. Unfortunately, exercising your engine isn't listed. An argument could be made, though, that it is a form of exercise. Whether that argument would "fly", of course (no pun intended), is another question.

I'm not terribly worried about it - can't see how taking a solo flight could spread the virus. Not sure how other pilots here are reading the order though - and that's why I posted.

10. Sinistar

Sinistar En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    what is preventing you from flying during the order?

11. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Liquor is to keep a large number of people out of the medical system suffering through unplanned detox.

Pot is because the average person doesn’t think of the above and would complain that their drug of choice shouldn’t be banned if alcohol isn’t.

Both give a more compliant populace for the most part.

Abusive households probably suffer more right now. Domestic violence that’ll go unreported. Mostly from the drinkers.

Humans are lovely creatures. :)

tjfelles likes this.
  12. murphey

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    huh? Did I miss that in the paperwork? I’m heading to the hangar tomorrow to do some work. Probably won’t be anyone within 300 yards. Or more.

13. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Huh. Here's the relevant text from the Wisconsin order, section 11, "Essential Activities":

While the examples are all forms of exercise, they do say "without limitation". Pretty much if you're going outside and maintaining social distancing requirements, you're good.

The Vermont order doesn't seem to provide that exception unless it's for exercise.

14. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Looking at the Colorado order, specifically section III, (A)(1) and (3), it looks like you're good. The wording there is very similar to ours.

@Arrow76R I don't see why you couldn't fly. See the sections of the order I just listed above. As long as you're flying solo you should be within the letter and spirit of the law.

15. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Correct, and I think that's what I said. ;)

I'm going to call the FBO today to see how they interpret the order as it applies to flying.

16. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    My wife and I were hoping to fly yesterday but had some other time constraints. Lockdown or not next nice weather when I have time I am going flying no different than going to a park and going for a walk. I don't need to interact with anyone to go to the airport and fly. If they pull me over and want to "see my papers" I will deal with that at the time.

17. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Careful, that might be interpreted as an anti-authority attitude. ;)

So I talked to the FBO owner and it seems that a few other pilots have been flying a little. So I will brave it this afternoon. Not going to cross state lines as I don't know how strict the lockdown orders are elsewhere. But thanks to winter snow plus car trouble, it's been way too long for me, not to mention my engine, which definitely is craving some "exercise". :)

18. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    One must exercise their airplane.

19. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    Is that like walking your dog?

20. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    If I declare an Emergency before I leave the house can I deviate from the rules to the extent necessary to meet my emergency need to fly. :D

21. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Isn’t GA listed in the federal stuff as an essential service?

22. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    Why do you assume that? There are lots of potential reasons. I've yet to see or hear of any kind of enforcement of banned activities anywhere. Lots of football games happening in parks. Lots of packed public spaces. And lots of grocery stores that continue to be packed with whole families wondering the isles and paying absolutely no attention to maintaining any kind of distance from other people. If the police ain't bothering to curtail any of that, they surely aren't ready to go traipsing into Federal territory by trying to arrest a pilot for flying his airplane.

Personally I would suspect that watching stock portfolio values vaporize over the last couple weeks may be much bigger motivator for many to not go out to the airport and set fire to couple hundred dollar bills than any shelter in place order.

flyingcheesehead and azure like this.
  23. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    In most stated you are "allowed" to go to parks aren't some airports called "air parks" ?