Colorado Springs training?

pikespeakmtnman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
n/a
I'm starting to get very, very close to starting down the road to my PPL training and I'd like to get some names of some places/CFIs that would provide me the best training and the best value for my money.

I would prefer KCOS just because it's the closest to me, but KFLY is certainly doable as well....beyond that starts getting to be too far for my preference but never entirely out of the question.

Negligible price difference are less important to me than quality training but I'm not willing to spend money that isn't absolutely necessary.

I've had a couple of pleasant interactions with Peak Aviation. They are in the same building as Cutter, right upstairs. Their chief instructor seems quite good, though I've only had passing interactions with him.

I'm going to be there next month, and I'm considering asking him to accompany a mountain training flight to Aspen, weather permitting (of course).

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any more advice. I had to wait a bit longer than I wanted to but oh well.

I've done discovery flights with both Peak and A-Cent Aviation and both seem like good places.

(I got your PM, Nate)

I have my plane at Meadow Lake. I prefer it to COS. If you haven't been over to talk to Bobby at Springs Aviation at Meadow Lake, I suggest you check it out. I learned up at what is now Aspen Aviation at Centennial. It was a great experience but it may be too much of a drive for you. The advantage is that Centennial is an extremely busy airport and gives you great practice at working in coordination with a wide variety of aircraft types, from Cessna 172's and Gobosh LSA's up to high end business jets. The complexity of the air space around there makes for great practice too. Some would argue that since COS is a class C and Centennial is only a class D, that COS would be busier. In looking at stats I believe COS actually has less operations per day.

Carl

Some would argue that since COS is a class C and Centennial is only a class D, that COS would be busier. In looking at stats I believe COS actually has less operations per day.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. I used to live in the Springs area, and it seems air traffic has been declining for years as people drive to Denver. Even the Gazette (local paper) has been having articles about it recently, trying to find ways to drive more business to COS.

I remember the "good old days" in the 90's when Western Pacific was headquartered in El Paso county and flew out of COS, it was great. I could get good prices on tickets, and get anywhere I needed to go, without always having to transfer in Denver. When Western Pacific went bust in the late 90's, I think I only flew out of COS a couple more times before I finally succumbed to the much cheaper prices out of Denver, and just started driving up there.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Centennial is busier than COS, regardless of the class of airspace.

Anyway, OP - good luck with your search and training!

Back