Colorado Mountain AWOS

Good article.

But I'm surprised you haven't thought about it before given all the times the one at Corona Pass has been down since it was first set up, mostly due to the conditions up there in winter.

We are fortunate to have some great folks in Colorado aviation government working on our behalf!

Shahn Sederberg did this video. He's very active in GA and a great guy. Great photographer and videographer. He's got some funny stories about how they made this video and some of the things they had to to.

His boss, David Ulane is our new Colorado Division of Aeronautics head. He was the AOPA NW regional guy for a few years, and has a long, solid history in Colorado aviation that well predates my involvement.

Come on out to some CABA events and meet these folks!

Some of the highest winds in the state have been measured on Mines Peak (Where the site is really located). When I was working for the Forest Service I worked with the state to locate the AWOS sites. Had to have power so right in Corona was not possible. We also had a VHF repeater and microwave up there. I snowshoed up a couple times to work on stuff. Not fun. Even in the snowcat it was dicey sideslopes. It's officially called Berthoud Pass AWOS.

Interesting video. It would have been nice if the AWOS stations had been around back when I flew smaller airplanes in the Colorado mountains.

Good article.

But I'm surprised you haven't thought about it before given all the times the one at Corona Pass has been down since it was first set up, mostly due to the conditions up there in winter.

There's a couple others that are down more. Monarch is regularly jacked up. The microwave T1 pooped to the RCO site southwest of Denver at Badger Mtn a few years ago mid-winter and it wasn't repaired until spring thaw. Pretty common.

And I'm hurt that Murph doesn't even think about this stuff. Heh. I've been to a few of the State sites working on things, and a bunch of other nearby non-State sites. State folks do a pretty nice job on their sites.

Many others are pretty run down. Especially the old Motorola and AT&T sites. Shadows of their former selves.

It's a hell of a lot easier in summer (well the three months of summer at those sites anyway...) to get there, especially if you don't have access to a snow-cat.

Snowmobile works but sometimes it's snowshoes and get to hiking...

Most of the volunteer groups that work on stuff at these sites hope there's one who likes that crap for winter. Although I know one guy who decided that renting a JetRanger to get to Mt. Thorodin one winter, was a much more comfortable option. Ha.

In summer there are plenty of us who'll go bash the hell out of our 4x4 vehicles on the USFS access roads. That's way more fun. Hard on vehicles sometimes though, depending on how the "road" is doing that year.

Currently I'm trying to figure out the road to the ADS-B tower near my house on Google Earth. A site I didn't even know was there, and it's in a strange place for a tower site. Also looks tall. Double set of guy wire radii showing in Google Earth.

So curiosity is killing the cat. May have to run over there some afternoon.

Probably get back over in there and find it's gated. But will see.

There's a couple others that are down more. Monarch is regularly jacked up. The microwave T1 pooped to the RCO site southwest of Denver at Badger Mtn a few years ago mid-winter and it wasn't repaired until spring thaw. Pretty common.
As I recall, when I did a mountain flight and looked at all the AWOS stations, Corona seemed to be down far more than the others, but that may be more of an impression based on my route than the reality of the situation.

You guys must be wimps. When I lived in CO, I'd hike up there in shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops to fix those things. It was a cake walk.

:rofl:

You guys must be wimps. When I lived in CO, I'd hike up there in shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops to fix those things. It was a cake walk.

:rofl:

Totally do-able but summer is usually antenna work parties and you're not going to hike in with a four bay Sinclair VHF folded dipole heavy-duty low-PIM on your back. LOL.

Back