Colorado ADS-B? Anyone using it?

comanchski

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SP
Thinking about purchasing an ADS-B unit for a trip to NW Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with ADS-B in Co, Wy, Id, Or? The FAA maps don't show it active yet but I am hoping that some implantation has begun. Would like to hear feedback. Thanks!

Just looked at the map today, and there were a couple of antennas in the front range and a boatload in the backcountry listed as active. No idea how well they work at various altitudes though!

ADS-B is up on the east side of the Front Range from north to south with towers at DIA and down by Trinidad. The WAM around Telluride is supposed to include ADS-B but I haven't been out that way since it's been up. Last year the WAM ADS-B was not up.

The Hayden WAM does not include ADS-B. I fly that area frequently so am comfortable mentioning that.

Wyoming hasn't heard of ADS-B.

Don't know about other areas northwest of Colorado.

Weather finally got warm enough for crews to get to the sites. We still have snow on the access roads into many of the radio facilities. Trail Ridge road just opened for the holiday weekend with the usual monster snowbanks on either side of the road.

So you'll start to see the backlogged system installs start happening now through about October when the techs will be snowed out again without a snowcat.

Thanks for the responses. I spoke to a couple flight schools and 2 of the folks I spoke with couldn't spell ADS-B.
Was hoping to find a local pilot who has purchased a receiver and able to give a flight report before I dump $1200 bucks into a receiver. I guess all a guy needs is a tower every now and again to update the weather on the iPad. If I plan my flight over bigger towns I can always strafe a cell tower for an update on my phone....:dunno:

Which map do you look at? I have not found one with good detail.
Thanks!

ADS-B itself transmits a rather blocky image compared to most of the ones available via the Internet, so you might not be able to get one that looks as pretty as you want. It does do the trick, however...

Back