Color vision question(s)

A

anonymous

When I go for my medical in a couple weeks I know I probably will fail the color portion of the eye exam, should I tell the Dr. this or let him tell me?

Also in the likely event I don't pass it will he just automatically give me the "not valid for night or color signal" medical or do I have to ask him?

Thanks

I would not tell him. Make sure you are well hydrated, don''t do any eyestrain things for a few days prior, and no direct sun light. Not sure if that is a scientific help or not. I was just told many years ago it helps. Anyway, there are multiple color tests you can take with approval of the FAA. So a waiver may be a PIA, but totally doable. Is your AME a regular DR, or do they specialize in aviation medicine? Someone who does a lot of aviation medicine is what you want.

I would not tell him. Make sure you are well hydrated, don''t do any eyestrain things for a few days prior, and no direct sun light. Not sure if that is a scientific help or not. I was just told many years ago it helps. Anyway, there are multiple color tests you can take with approval of the FAA. So a waiver may be a PIA, but totally doable. Is your AME a regular DR, or do they specialize in aviation medicine? Someone who does a lot of aviation medicine is what you want.
This is the OP, what I'm really worried about is in the event I fail, will I 100% get the medical with the night restriction? Or can I get denied> that's all I'm going for time being

Doesn't matter if you tell him or not, you'll take the test and fail.
Your first medical will say "not valid for night flight or color light gun". Since there's no solo night requirement for PPL it won't matter.
At any point you can apply for a light gun test with your FSDO (at least that's how I did it). Make a point of getting a tower to show you light gun signals during your training. You'll very likely have no issues telling them apart.
Once you pass you'll be given a SODA which you'll present when you get any future medicals. I go to the same place so they have it in file.

Doesn't matter if you tell him or not, you'll take the test and fail.
Your first medical will say "not valid for night flight or color light gun". Since there's no solo night requirement for PPL it won't matter.
At any point you can apply for a light gun test with your FSDO (at least that's how I did it). Make a point of getting a tower to show you light gun signals during your training. You'll very likely have no issues telling them apart.
Once you pass you'll be given a SODA which you'll present when you get any future medicals. I go to the same place so they have it in file.
Cheers man, the "not valid for night restriction" a given or do I have to ask for it?

Be carefull getting the SODA, if you fail it, you get the restriction for life. Not something to play around with. Get your physical, get your PPl, then worry about it later when you know you can't pass the other FAA color vision tests but are sure you can pass the lightgun tests and other tests with the FAA.

I'm in the same boat. I looked at the color dot plates and was like, "There's an image on these things?". Got issued 3rd class with "No night flying or by color signals". So now I'm looking at taking the Farnsworth Lantern test and hoping I can see a tiny green / red dot from 8 foot away. If I fail that which is very likely I'll have to do the ATC light gun test or just never fly at night.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back