Color Vision: Do I tell?

U

Unregistered

So I got my 3rd class medical back, and even though I failed the color vision portion in the doctors office, it's not listed as a restriction on my medical certificate. I told the doctor's assistant for each color plate that she showed me, that I can't see any numbers, clearly indicating that I'm color blind. The only thing listed as a restriction on my certificate is the fact that I must wear corrective lenses. No nighttime restrictions... nothing to indicate my colorvision problem.

Now here is the kicker, I just got my medical cleared after 6 months of waiting, because of some other health issues that had to get taken care of first. I'm not sure if I should go back and tell the doctor that it's not listed, or if I should just fly because essentially they messed it up. I'm worried that if I go back and tell them, it's going to take another 6 months to get my medical back again.

I can see red and greens lights just fine, in fact I ran into the same issue in the Air Force and passed the falant lantern test with ease, I just cant see the color vision test plates.

Any thoughts on what to do? I know for some the FAA not catching their color vision issues might be a dream, but I don't want it to come back and bite me in the butt later down the road.

Yup. rather than run the whole string again here, you can read it over there as a guest.

I would not do a thing, just remember that on your next medical, you'll need to get the color waiver- they'll restrict you to daytime and you ask for a referral to the FSDO for the waiver exam. Note carefully what's in the exam, you can prep for it.

That's also in the redboard string (General Order 8900.1).

I had the same restriction and i had to do a light test with the faa. By proving my abilities to recognize light colors allowed me to fly unrestricted. The only restriction before was that i had to have a back up radio while flying at night. That was 14 years ago....During my last medical in 2010, the limitation was removed from my medical. When i asked, i was told by the examiner that color blind is no longer a limitation....thats probably what your doctor used as data...For me it does not matter realy. I have my waiver and legally recognized by the feds as color blind!!!!!!

Last edited:
Do the AMEs check for color blindness every time you have a medical? Seems like it would only be for the first one.

Do the AMEs check for color blindness every time you have a medical?
They're supposed to, but from the OP, it appears perhaps not all follow all the rules exactly.

Seems like it would only be for the first one.
Not a medico, but I suppose there are diseases and conditions which could develop and affect your color vision.

I always have to pass it at the Opthamologist office, then take that form to my Class 1 AME so I dont have to read his super crappy plates...I do some approved alt. test the D15 I think it is and a different form of those plates.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back