Color vision advice

H

HawkeyeNation

Hi Guys,

Thanks to your great guidance, I failed just a consult with the AME today, due to missing 7 of the Ishihara plates (barely failed). I'm glad you guys helped and I didn't go live, resulting in a deferral. I'm now trying to work around this for a first-time class 3. It seems I need to find one of the 8 alternative tests from an optometrist that I can pass. From what I've read the Farnsworth Lantern is the "easiest", but tough to find. I understand my last choice would be to try the light gun (OCVT) test at the airport, but seems that should be a last resort.

Any advice on where I can find a optometrist with a test I may be able to pass? I'm in the Denver area. Just calling around, I haven't found any options. I could try the Ishihara plates again also, as it was under florescent and the book looked pretty old.

Lastly, would it work to just pass a class 3 with the night restriction, and then take a BasicMed sooner than later and self certify (I can definitely see red/green running lights at night etc)?

Thanks!

Have the AME get newer plate or plates and insist on taking the test outdoors. When I was an AME, had three different sets. If some one was having difficulty, had them go outdoors and try all three.

Eldorado is on to something. What were your light conditions?
And, did he try the Richomnds and the Dvorines, the AO's?
Did he try a Farnsworth lantern?

Eldorado is on to something. What were your light conditions?
And, did he try the Richomnds and the Dvorines, the AO's?
Did he try a Farnsworth lantern?

Thanks for the comments guys. Light conditions were not ideal, I'm going to try the Ishihara again at an optometrist with better light and see if I can pass.

The AME only had the one test, I'm not able to find any optometrists with any suitable alternative test, not to mention another AME in Denver unfortunately.

If I end up with no night/instrument flying on my class 3, what happens with that requirement when I switch to BasicMed? I may not need to IFR fly until I'd be ready for a BasicMed in a few years anyways ...

Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Thanks to your great guidance, I failed just a consult with the AME today, due to missing 7 of the Ishihara plates (barely failed). I'm glad you guys helped and I didn't go live, resulting in a deferral. I'm now trying to work around this for a first-time class 3. It seems I need to find one of the 8 alternative tests from an optometrist that I can pass. From what I've read the Farnsworth Lantern is the "easiest", but tough to find. I understand my last choice would be to try the light gun (OCVT) test at the airport, but seems that should be a last resort.

Any advice on where I can find a optometrist with a test I may be able to pass? I'm in the Denver area. Just calling around, I haven't found any options. I could try the Ishihara plates again also, as it was under florescent and the book looked pretty old.

Lastly, would it work to just pass a class 3 with the night restriction, and then take a BasicMed sooner than later and self certify (I can definitely see red/green running lights at night etc)?

Thanks!

try these guys

https://www.neuro-sight.com/

They are not aviation centered, but they may know of an optometrist that is aviation centered

I also knew of a guy in boulder about 10 years ago, let me rack my brain to remember his name. He worked a lot with Bob Sancetta on pilots with vision issues

try these guys

https://www.neuro-sight.com/

They are not aviation centered, but they may know of an optometrist that is aviation centered

I also knew of a guy in boulder about 10 years ago, let me rack my brain to remember his name. He worked a lot with Bob Sancetta on pilots with vision issues

Thanks Benw, good stuff, much appreciated. I'll give them a call. I wish Dr. Bob was taking new patients, it's hard to find guys like he and Dr. Bruce and when you do, they're full!

Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back