Color deficient pilot

Tylerbunger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tylerbunger
Hi, my name is Tyler and i am 26 years old. I am an air force veteran and i am red green color deficient. I was an Aircrew member in the air force and now that i am out i want to make a career out of flying helicopters. I already know the type of test i need to take to do it but before i take the tests the ame told me to study and the fsdo told me to study. I am looking for a color deficient pilot in the nebraska area that knows the procedures of these tests.
Since i have been out of the airforce i have looked into so many possible careers and nothing excites me as much as flying. I have to fly, i miss it so much. I would greatly appreciate any help i could get with this.

Not much to study. Not sure if you're flying already or just looking through the razor wire fence.

This next part is dated information, so ymmv. When i did it about 12 years ago, my instructor called the tower and asked to see the light gun. I had no problem telling the lights apart.

After i completed my instrument rating i did it for real with the FSDO. A woman met me and we stood at two distances from the base of the tower. One shot, no practice.

That earned me a SODA. i throw it down when i get my medical renewed and there is no mention of it again. Without it my medical read "not valid for night flying or color signal". Both are ridiculous.

As a CFI I had a radio pop (with smoke) on departure, so we stayed closed traffic rather than depart as we had received clearance for. We had a light from the tower before turning base. All cool, exactly the way it is supposed to go.

How would you be expected to handle the situation with that text on your medical?

As for night flying, my night vision is excellent and never an issue.

I saw a long thread on here a while back and people were bringing up the crash of a military cargo plane that crashed short. I remembered the accident. Four sets of eyes looking out the front and that is what they came up with? BS. There is NOTHING about a VASI or PAPI that is even a tiny bit ambiguous to a color blind pilot

My comment about dated information is because my brother is also color blind. Two years ago he asked his AME about doing the test. Was told no way. We live about 1000 miles apart, so that may have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Color vision certification is one of Doctor Bruce's specialty. He has a number of tests and what he calls the "thermonuclear" chamber...essentially the vestibule of his office which has LOTS of natural sunlight that will allow you the best shot at passing the test WITHOUT having to do any SODA testing.

It would have behooved you to use a doctor that doesn't have aged ishihara plates displayed under fluorescent office lights before you got to this point (and if you haven't go do it). If not, you're going to have to do the SODA, get practice (most towers will have no problem shooting you a bunch of light gun signals in slack times) and study the Sectionals and their coloration intently.

I can confirm Ron's statement about type and amount off light having a huge impact on your ability to discern color.

PM me Im in LNK and have gone through the BS ,

Color vision certification is one of Doctor Bruce's specialty. He has a number of tests and what he calls the "thermonuclear" chamber...essentially the vestibule of his office which has LOTS of natural sunlight that will allow you the best shot at passing the test WITHOUT having to do any SODA testing.

It would have behooved you to use a doctor that doesn't have aged ishihara plates displayed under fluorescent office lights before you got to this point (and if you haven't go do it). If not, you're going to have to do the SODA, get practice (most towers will have no problem shooting you a bunch of light gun signals in slack times) and study the Sectionals and their coloration intently.

Dont have to do the SODA anymore..you can take a flight test and get out of this jam for life (or get hosed for life)....another easy way is to have an opthamologist sign off /complete section E of your medical form (while in a non-jeopardy environment) and take that to your AME within 30 days, some will take it and let you skip the eye exam with them.

Last edited:
There is NOTHING about a VASI or PAPI that is even a tiny bit ambiguous to a color blind pilot
I'm red/green deficient and greatly struggle with both.

Dont have to do the SODA anymore..you can take a flight test and get out of this jam for life (or get hosed for life)....another easy way is to have an opthamologist sign off /complete section E of your medical form (while in a non-jeopardy environment) and take that to your AME within 30 days, some will take it and let you skip the eye exam with them.

That's the smart choice.

Last edited:
I consulted with Dr Bruce personally a couple years ago - I did the SODA - which is knowing the light gun signals in the air and colors of sectional. I combined it with my PPL and didnt have to pay a DPE... lucky break, right? WRONG - the FAA guy (now a great friend) gave me a 7.5 hour oral.. ugg.

If you want 1st/2nd class medical waiver you have to identify the lights of the MALSR from the air.

you only get two attempts. If you fail twice you are "not valid for flight at night" forever and ever.

Back