Color blindness--could this change everything?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Valspar (yes, the paint people) have developed glasses that refract light at a different wavelength so people whose eyes normally don't perceive colors correctly finally can. Watch these people see reds, greens, orange and pink for the first time:

That depends on whether you're flying with a night/color signal control restriction or not, I suspect. I'm going to look into it, personally. Thanks TW!!

Jim

I'm going to give them a shot. I took the color vision test on their website and I came back a "Strong Protan," which means I have the most severe form of red-green color blindness. They say there's only a 30% chance the glasses will work for me, but with the 30-day money back guarantee they're worth a try.

I've had my color vision tested in great detail in years past. My ophthalmologist tells me that people with normal color vision see 5 million colors, but I only see about 50,000. Color blindness is far from the worst affliction a person can have, but it's still a bummer.

I'd say if you can pass the color test wearing the glasses, then you're certifiable with a "corrective lenses" requirement. I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't be true.

Rich

Their test gave me a 75% shot at correctability (did I make that word up?) Issue for me is color-blindness correction AND prescription correction. Will be talking to the eye Doc.

Jim

Valspar (yes, the paint people) have developed glasses that refract light at a different wavelength so people whose eyes normally don't perceive colors correctly finally can. Watch these people see reds, greens, orange and pink for the first time:

Yes, there are also night vision enhancements on the horizon.

My color blindness, diagnosed by a quack AME (with ancient eye test charts) in 2011, was cured by simply going to a competent AME in 2013.

Voila! I'm not color blind anymore! lol :)

But seriously -- those glasses sound cool. I can't imagine not being able to see colors.

I'd say if you can pass the color test wearing the glasses, then you're certifiable with a "corrective lenses" requirement. I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't be true.

Rich

You're not allowed to use any of the glasses that correct color blindness on the exam. Believe me, I've researched this thoroughly. What would be nice is to have contact lenses that you could pop in. Take the test with those and nobody would ever know!

You're not allowed to use any of the glasses that correct color blindness on the exam. Believe me, I've researched this thoroughly. What would be nice is to have contact lenses that you could pop in. Take the test with those and nobody would ever know!

If we have glasses today, we'll have contacts tomorrow, no worries, someone will work that out, we're a brilliant species.

It really is amazing what work in genetic research has developed in such a short period.

Yes, there are also night vision enhancements on the horizon.

has anyone tried these sunglasses? this could be the answer (or partial) to my prayers. I want to remove my night flying color signal restriction from medical cert. I just started ground school

:D

has anyone tried these sunglasses? this could be the answer (or partial) to my prayers. I want to remove my night flying color signal restriction from medical cert. I just started ground school

:D

You sure you're really color blind?

Try the link I posted a few posts up, it's a much more accurate color test than the Asian dot test.

Try the link I posted a few posts up, it's a much more accurate color test than the Asian dot test.

Agreed. I have had (presumably) similar experiences to what Jay mentions above. Dots under poor lighting, fail. Dots under sunlight, pass, arrangement test - 100% every time.

I do (now) know that differing branches of the military use different tests (some do use the arrangement test), and that there are ways to work around failing the dot test. :rolleyes2:

Yes. moderate protan

Last edited:
Agreed. I have had (presumably) similar experiences to what Jay mentions above. Dots under poor lighting, fail. Dots under sunlight, pass, arrangement test - 100% every time.

I do (now) know that differing branches of the military use different tests (some do use the arrangement test), and that there are ways to work around failing the dot test. :rolleyes2:

How can work around it? do you mean light/signal test by FAA to lift restriction? Or something better? :wink2:

I am going for my private pilot license.

Medical reform will change everything. This not so much.

No offense intended but as someone who has had to deal with the dumb stupid asian test all his life. This is huge. Because of the dumb stupid asian test I was almost denied entry into the job I wanted in the Military.

Anything that can help color deficient people see I am all for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back