Color Blindness and a SODA

Ken

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kenny
I currently have a third class medical and a SODA for a successful demonstration of a color light gun signal test that was administered in 1996. As I renew my medical every two years, I just submit the SODA to the AME and don't have to take the color test in the office.

The SODA indicates it is good for a third class medical. My question is what would be necessary if I wished to upgrade to a second class medical? Would I have to take another signal test or can the SODA be converted to be acceptable for a second class medical?

Thank you for any help figuring out my options.

I upgraded to a II with a soda, no problems; it was invisible to me if there was even paperwork involved.

FWIW, the FAA medical certification requirements pertaining to color vision are identical for Class 2 and Class 3 medical certification.

"Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties."

I need to find the actaul print on this to be sure myself. Need to know it works on 3rd and second class and who what why where of it all. Thanks for bringing it up.

It's in the regs...same for all Classes...individual operators may have more stringent requirements...

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 67—MEDICAL STANDARDS AND CERTIFICATION

Class I

§ 67.103(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

Class II

§ 67.203(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

Class III

§ 67.303(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

I just had an airman in with a second class color blind SODA. His test was the same as the third class. (Stand out on the field somewhere and have the tower shine lights at you.) Check with your FSDO, your SODA might just need a paper update.

Barb(AME)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back