Collision Avoidance System

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
I was looking into getting a collision avoidance system but I heard that one system did not work or did not work well. Does anyone know who made/ makes that system so I don’t get the wrong one.

also does anyone have the Monroy ATD-200 collision avoidance system if so what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Bob

I used to rent a plane with a Ryan TCAD, plumbed into a Garmin 530. It worked very well, although the female voice saying "traffic!" every 30 seconds in the class B wasold fast.

rmciottijr said:
I was looking into getting a collision avoidance system but I heard that one system did not work or did not work well. Does anyone know who made/ makes that system so I don’t get the wrong one.

also does anyone have the Monroy ATD-200 collision avoidance system if so what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Bob

You might want to check Aviation Consumer for a couple recent and not so recent reviews of portable traffic detectors. And if you want my opinion I suggest you only consider detectors that provide relative altitude (Monroy ATD-300, TrafficScope Vrx, ProxAlert R5). The folks that developed TrafficScope split from SureCheck and started Zaon who offer a unit that provides some directional information as well as an updated and smaller version of the Vrx. (www.zaonflight.com)

This site has a little information on all of those:

http://www.avionix.com/collis.html

BTW the biggest downside of the Monroy 300 is that it doesn't have it's own altitude (pressure) sensor and relies solely on your transponder for your plane's altitude. And since there is a problem distiguishing between a mode C (altitude) reply and a mode A (squawk) code I expect you get a lot more altitude errors with the Monroy when you are squawking certain codes. That's not a problem when your code is 1200 as no codes ending in 00 can represent an altitude (nor can any odd squawk or one with a 0, 5, or 7 in the second to last digit), but it does make a difference if you are IFR or otherwise on a discrete code.

Finally there is a traffic detector that's recently been advertized that actually looks for aircraft using solid state imagers (cameras) monitoring the sky in front of your plane throught the windscreen.

Back