Collins radio digits

Ray F

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ray F
I have a 79 archer that currently has the original Collins radios for the com2/nav2. It works fine except the digit after the decimal has disappeared so I have to count the clicks when tuning in awos. Does anyone know how I can fix this. I'm eventually going to replace that radio altogether, but it's a bit annoying right now.

Here's what you do. Collins or the avionics shops want something ridiculous like $300/each for the digits, so just buy an old radio as a spare and pinch from that. You can get an entire radio for less. All the numbers are the same except for the first one (even between the NAV and the COM), so they're interchangeable. It's really easy to swap yourself - done it many times.

Slide the unit out, unscrew the lock screws for the tuner knobs, pull them off and just remove the front. Now you have easy access to the digits. Just pull the broken one out and replace with a new one. Make sure the pins are straight so they go into the sockets. You can slide unit in and turn it on without without putting front back on, so you know it works before it all gets put back together.

Last edited:
I have a brand new Collins DCE-400, in the box, with (i think) ten modules.....

Your's for $100 shipped.

PM me....except I'm out the door, right now, for 5 days at my son's wedding.

Cool, thanks for the help. Would the digits in your DCE-400 be the same kind as in the radio?

I have a brand new Collins DCE-400, in the box, with (i think) ten modules.....

Your's for $100 shipped.

PM me....except I'm out the door, right now, for 5 days at my son's wedding.

The 251 and 351 have the same digits. Looks like the DCE 400 should have the same digits too, but you'd have to google it.

Back