Collings B24 crew farewell to B17 crew

Class act, top to bottom. May the entire Foundation crew and staff continue their mission in perpetuity.

Did anyone see anything cited in the initial report on the crash of 909? I heard some rumors about possible contaminated fuel but I don’t know the source.

Did anyone see anything cited in the initial report on the crash of 909? I heard some rumors about possible contaminated fuel but I don’t know the source.

With the number of warbirds they had there, and the fuel those things go through, seems highly improbable if there was contaminated fuel only one plane would be subjected to it.

With the number of warbirds they had there, and the fuel those things go through, seems highly improbable if there was contaminated fuel only one plane would be subjected to it.

Oh believe me, I thought the same thing. I couldn't imagine the fuel volumes causing the issue, and I would also find it hard to believe that it was mis-fueled with Jet A since surely every line guy would be aware of what a radial-engined warbird uses. Like I said, it was a rumor heard (from non-aviation site) from someone claiming to have some connection to a friend the Collings Foundation, so I didn't put too much stock in it. Just didn't know if any root causes were known at this point.

Oh believe me, I thought the same thing. I couldn't imagine the fuel volumes causing the issue, and I would also find it hard to believe that it was mis-fueled with Jet A since surely every line guy would be aware of what a radial-engined warbird uses. Like I said, it was a rumor heard (from non-aviation site) from someone claiming to have some connection to a friend the Collings Foundation, so I didn't put too much stock in it. Just didn't know if any root causes were known at this point.

I heard the same rumor. You would think if that actually did happen someone would have caught it, but stranger things have happened.

The mobile fueler at my home airport has two identical looking trucks for 100LL and Jet A. I always check the label on the tank as he is pulling up to fuel me. Just a habit, after the PA-46 misfueling fatality in Spokane a few years ago.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=174049

Last edited:
Back