College station Tx anyone ?

muddy00

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
muddy00
Anyone on here from college station ? Ended up here by diversion today and look like im here for a day

Last edited:
Mike will be along shortly.

The Bush Library is very nice if that interests you.

Freebirds!

I lived there for more than 30 years. Finally got away. I remember when what is now the FBO was originally the terminal, and watched Trans Texas Airways DC-3s land and take off. My very first commercial airplane ride was on a TTA DC-3 from College Station to Houston

But yes, Freebirds.

I lived there for more than 30 years. Finally got away. I remember when what is now the FBO was originally the terminal, and watched Trans Texas Airways DC-3s land and take off. My very first commercial airplane ride was on a TTA DC-3 from College Station to Houston

But yes, Freebirds.

Now I know how old you are. LOL. My current flight instructor flew the DC-2 and then the -3 for TTA. Hehehe. "Retired" off of the 777 at Continental. What a career.

It takes an hour to drive from inner west houston to college station so I can't imagine how long it took to drive back then to justify flying here.

50% of my life is in B/CS. Freebirds sucks, tho. Try the Republic for a nice place. Fuego or Mad Taco for fast food. Too busy tomorrow or I'd offer a round of golf.

Wow... must have some great stories..!!!

Well like anyone who's flown that long for a living, he has some "I have no idea how we survived that" ones. I take his phrase, "If the trend is towards a crash, fix the trend, immediately." very very seriously.

I'm also amazed at what he either pretends doesn't rattle him or he knows I could go just a little bit further with the mistake before he'd have to correct it. A couple of my landings in the Seminole seemed pretty damned hard to me (pulling the throttles to idle on a three bladed twin while still ten feet in the air to try to stick a landing spot, without pitching hard, is like sticking two trash can lids out there as air brakes and falling out of the sky), and as an aircraft owner, I apologized for beating up his airplane. He just looks over and says, "I've seen worse."

I really enjoy flying with him and learning from him. He doesn't miss much. When I didn't know him I asked around to see if other CFIs I knew did know him and one responded, "I flew on the DC-10 with him. That guy has broken in more green FOs than number of people you'll ever fly with. Tell him I said hi."

Only part about flying with him that I regret a little bit is the guy works too hard in "retirement", but I know he wouldn't have it any other way. He's not only a gazillion hour instructor but he's also an A&P and AI. If he's not flying them, he's working on them.

I can only hope I'm that motivated to go do stuff at the airport every day at 75. I think he's 75 this year.

Was talking to him the other day and he said he had a a student doing an ME add on not too long ago (I don't know the student's name and don't want to know) who when he said the guy needed two more half days of flying and ground prep, the student looked him right in the eye and said, "I don't need that." Guess who failed his checkride three days later? LOL.

I have found it's unwise to argue with him about much of anything, especially when it comes to knowing when someone is ready for a checkride. Hahaha. I've only won one minor argument with him and it was on something completely non-aviation related. Ha. And I'm not even sure I won. We'll call it a draw. Haha.

He had his wallet open one day to give a lady his ID for a crew car at a remote airport and his old airline badge was showing. About as far as I'll take it with him is, "Hey, who's that guy with no white hair on that card?" He gave me a look, and I busted up laughing and said, "I've got some of my own now. No worries. Probably students like me that gave it all to you."

It takes an hour to drive from inner west houston to college station so I can't imagine how long it took to drive back then to justify flying here.
in the way back, it would be a two lane Highway 6 & Hempstead Highway into what's now the Galleria and then wherever you were headed in town, I'd bet 2 hours minimum. The Houston airport at the time would have been Hobby too.

And the Hemptsead Highway was chock full of red lights. But the watermelons were great.!!

Mike will be along shortly.

The Bush Library is very nice if that interests you.
I ain't the only Aggie. But unfortunately many the haunts I knew and loved are gone (such as the Cow Hop, Deluxe Burger, and Chicken Oil Company). And so much other change has occurred, I'm at a loss of what to recommend to see except for the Bush Library, and to say "Howdy!" to Sully.

Freebirds sucks, unless you wear dentures. All their food is just a soft mush of tortilla, meat,beans and cheese. Just go to Taco Bell for that!

I ain't the only Aggie. But unfortunately many the haunts I knew and loved are gone (such as the Cow Hop, Deluxe Burger, and Chicken Oil Company). And so much other change has occurred, I'm at a loss of what to recommend to see except for the Bush Library, and to say "Howdy!" to Sully.

The Deluxe Burger was my favorite for many years. Earlier it was called Handy Burger.

I spent many an evening sitting outside at Chicken Oil Company. The Death Burger was my favorite.

And yes, many places only exist in memory now. Like the aggie dairy farm on F&B road, when they used to serve super fresh milkshakes and ice cream. I seldomly go back to visit because all my favorite places are long gone, even many traditions are gone or changed. A friend of mines mother organized the "BQ" ball for years.

Were you ever kidnapped and tied up tp Sully?

But yes, Freebirds.
I was in CS in the late 70's when a Rio Airways plane had a wheel fall off after landing and taxi to the terminal. :)

The Deluxe Burger was my favorite for many years. Earlier it was called Handy Burger.

I spent many an evening sitting outside at Chicken Oil Company. The Death Burger was my favorite.

And yes, many places only exist in memory now. Like the aggie dairy farm on F&B road, when they used to serve super fresh milkshakes and ice cream. I seldomly go back to visit because all my favorite places are long gone, even many traditions are gone or changed. A friend of mines mother organized the "BQ" ball for years.

No... Fortunately didn't experienced that.... But I was in the last fish class that got aired out with some being in their "all together"

I too enjoyed benefits of having the Dairy Sciences creamery on campus next to the Pavilion. It was awesome to make the hike from the Corps Quad to Zachary Engineering building and stop for a big and low cost milkshake along the way.

When did the Dairy Farm close on F&B?

I was on my first date with my wife when my truck stalled out on F&B going to The Hall of Shame (Hall of Fame)... it took me a few minutes to get it running again.

She looked and me and said, "I thought the rule was to feed me first!"

We got married 2 years later.

Freebirds sucks, unless you wear dentures. All their food is just a soft mush of tortilla, meat,beans and cheese. Just go to Taco Bell for that!

I agree that it's soft mush, but it's delicious soft mush! :D

CS has come a long way. Thank goodness!

Bryan and College Station both has come a long way. And no, not a bad thing at all. It just isn't the same as when I was growing up, and thank goodness it isn't. Bryan was considered a little dinky farming town and College Station was where the college is. I think Bryan had a population of 25,000 and CS recognized 3500. I guess it's true, you can never go back home..... I will never recapture the past, nor will any attempt be able to live up to the inflated version I have built in my head ever happen again. But I sure have some great memories..!!!

Back