College Station "city tour"

jeremyk13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jeremyk13
I'm planning on taking my cousin up for a bird's eye view of A&M and haven't quite figured out how to put together the request for "flying circles around the best school in Texas". Requesting a "city tour" doesn't seem quite right, and I'd like to stay around 1500, which would have me loitering in the Delta airspace.

Here's what I have so far. I'm guessing Brazos Valley Flight Services would be the best place to meet up.

"Easterwood Ground, Cessna 1234 at Brazos Valley Flight Services, requesting VFR flight following for sightseeing."

Would "for sightseeing" be a generic request applicable to any location?

Thanks for the help!

For everyone else, If you're taking off from somewhere other than Easterwood, then as you get withing 20-miles, obtain the ATIS info from KCLL (126.85). Make contact with Easterwood Tower (118.50), tell them who you are, where you are, that you have Information ___, and what you wish to do. They will come back with any specific instructions for you.

For you, since you are taking off from Easterwood, just tell the ground controller of your desires (sightseeing over the A&M campus), and ask if there are any specific instructions. Flight Following might may or may not being the best choice since you are staying in the local area and aren't going to talk to Houston Approach. But, you can ask the Ground controller if having a beacon code is prefered by them.

If you see Miss Reveille, be sure to say HOWDY from me!

(Class of 88, before Ol' Army got shot to hell and Bonfire burned all night on Duncan Field)

I'm planning on taking my cousin up for a bird's eye view of A&M and haven't quite figured out how to put together the request for "flying circles around the best school in Texas".

Start by requesting flight following to Austin, then tell Approach that you'd like to do a little maneuvering just north of downtown.

:p :p

Im not familiar with your area, but I've done similar flights in the class C numerous times where I live. Very simple to do depending on the traffic volume. Simply tell them you want to 'orbit' a certain landmark or area and tell them you are out for some photography/sightseeing work.

Call ground say campus tour . Tower will direct you. Somega times you get a "stay east of down wind of 16"

I'm planning on taking my cousin up for a bird's eye view of A&M and haven't quite figured out how to put together the request for "flying circles around the best school in Texas".

Thanks for the help!

Call up Clearance and request "Direct to Austin"

KISS works well. Just tell ATC what you want to do (sightsee at 1500' etc), they'll give ya 4 little numbers to put in the box, and off you go. So simple even the POA monkey could do it!

I've only landed there a few times but those guys were mostly accommodating. One time they even had me make a slight right turn on takeoff from 34. Said he figured I would enjoy it. Told me to turn on course whenever I was ready.

To be fair, I also asked for a descending 360 once over the campus because I was too high and they told me no and to just extend my downwind. Probably could have asked again and gotten it, but I was nervous. I was planning to propose to my girlfriend about 90 minutes after we landed.

To be fair, I also asked for a descending 360 once over the campus because I was too high and they told me no and to just extend my downwind. Probably could have asked again and gotten it, but I was nervous. I was planning to propose to my girlfriend about 90 minutes after we landed.

Now there's some pressure ...

Do they allow ALABAMA fans to fly over A&M, with, oh I dunno, maybe some things to drop or sumptin'? :aureola: :yesnod:

Back