College Choice Help

OK, I stand corrected. I somehow related all the "life experience" credits to the diploma mills, where you can get a "degree" for $150 based on "life experience".

It's a little more than 150 bucks.

I had a list of universities a while back, I was going to add on to my conventional degree since my company will pay for continuing education.

Thing is, unless the degree relates to a profession where its required for a license or something, ie doctors, lawyers etc, its not very useful now days.

Id rather earn my helicopter CPL addon or upgrade my EMT to a EMT-P than get a BS in BS, better ROI.

Florida Tech in Melbourne I believe has a program for you as well, and you get to live in Coco Beach next to Cape Canaveral if you want. However for what you want, I don't think an aviation management degree is really your best option, maybe as a minor.
Melbourne / cocoa is a pretty cool place. great beaches amazing small wave surfing at the airforce base.

The one thing that you should keep in mind, god forbid your lose your medical. What are you going to do with you aviation degree?
Even though my concentration is Pro Pilot, the degree itself is generic across all aviation careers, so it exposes you to almost every side of the industry. I could work in some sort of management position fairly easily. The concentration I've picked determines what licenses I get (for me, pilot, but couple be A&P, dispatch, ect). All of them are on equal footing for a job that doesnt require any sort of special license.

I'm adjunct faculty at Metro in computer science and a sometime student in aviation so I know most of the faculty from a completely different perspective. PM me and I'll send you contact details on the people you need to talk to. You can get a regular Business degree with minor/emphasis on AvMgt, by the way.

Metro is a commuter school in downtown Denver that shares facilities, campus, parking, etc. with Denver Community College (jr college) and Univ of Colorado, Denver campus. CU-Denver & Metro "share" many courses. A private company built apartments within walking distance a few years ago, somewhat expensive. Convenient public transportation, by the way in & out of downtown.

Out of state tuition is competitive, definitely cheaper than Embry-Riddle. Spend a year, get a Colorado DL and become a resident, and tuition is dirt cheap. Altho Metro has 12-16 sims (Frasca & ATP), there's no aircraft - you go to one of the local flight schools for flight training. Most have a discount for Metro students.

Very active EAA chapters in the area, 43 & 301 fly YE every month, twice in June because of our relationship with Wings Over the Rockies museum Wings has a very active 5-12 aviation program (obviously) with both summer and winter camps. Some of the schools have or are starting aviation/aerospace programs, too.

Did I mention the mountains? I've been known to ski at Loveland most of the day and make it back to town in time to teach my 5:30 pm class - in my ski clothes.

They still have un-holy high parking rates? You had to factor that in when comparing to other schools back when I was there. It wasn't cheap. And there's little to no free parking anywhere near the campus.

So, it looks like I will be doing some further research on my future plans and degree/school options. You guys have certainly given me a lot to think about.

Dylan: yeah, Andrew is quite an interesting character! Good luck in the rest of your time at MTSU!

A couple of points in defense of an avaition degree:

If it keeps you motivated to finish your degree, do it. Four years of training for something you don't want to do can be mind numbing.

What is the true value of that back up degree if you have never worked in that field or haven't worked in it for years? Real life experience has told me that most pilots will require some kind of education, post life changing event to change careers. It's better to plan financially to do this.

Debt is the key to a happy life as a professional pilot. Not having to make huge student loan payments is a good thing when starting pay is low.

A couple of points in defense of an avaition degree:

If it keeps you motivated to finish your degree, do it. Four years of training for something you don't want to do can be mind numbing.

What is the true value of that back up degree if you have never worked in that field or haven't worked in it for years? Real life experience has told me that most pilots will require some kind of education, post life changing event to change careers. It's better to plan financially to do this.

Debt is the key to a happy life as a professional pilot. Not having to make huge student loan payments is a good thing when starting pay is low.

All good points John. I'm looking over the options and have some time to mull them all over before I make any sign-on-the-line decisions. I think that I could probably stay an extra spring and summer semester at my community college to take as many business courses as possible. That way, I will have the option to possibly double-major in both AM and Business Administration or major solely in Business with a double-minor in AM and marketing. I have a lot of ideas floating around now after seeing the posts in this thread. I am a highly motivated student and am willing to put in the work for a double-major so that's what I'm leaning toward right now. Debt is the enemy, so whatever option is the cheapest, will be my #1 choice.

Back