Colgan Air

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
any of you guys out East have any contact with Colgan Air? I got a friend who just got hired there, he's coming out here next week to work w/me on NDB approaches and general IFR flying before he heads to training with them. Id like to jive my training with what he'll see out there, as best as I can.

Tony I know something of Colgan. They operate the regional service for Continental, United and US Air. I think they are mostly turbo props. Their continental operation is based in Houston and flies in Texas ARkansas and Lousiana. The United Operation flies out of DC to Southern NY west to WV and places in PA. Their US Air ops are by far the biggest from what I know. They fly out of Philly, DC, Boston and fly the entire North East corridor lost of north western NY and New England locations so summer ops will bring TS and Haze Winter Winds and ice. They fly into and out of everything from Boston Logan and PHL to Island Airstrips in New England.

Good luck to your friend

yea he'll be either in 1900's or 340's. probably based out of DC I think.

PM me with an email address brook? if its alright with him...

Last edited:
I'm wracking my brain trying to remember...but isn't Colgan (or wasn't) related to Delta somehow...there was a crash some time ago (few years at most) which involved a Colgan plane....

A Colgan subsidiary just started Dash8 service out of EWR as Continental Connection...

There are a lot of Colgan planes in Continental colors buzzing in and out of Houston. They are all Saab 340's down here, though.

found at that my friend is going to be in 1900s. lucky for him. sweet flying airplane from what i hear. he's finishing up his CFI and maybe II now, has MEI, im sure of. hopefully he'll be in town next week.

I'll show my age here ;)

Colgan was founded by Charles Colgan out of Manassas prior to 1980 (I want to say he sold the airline to another - maybe Presidential - back in the '80s).

He provided a service between several smaller cities, and started flying between Poughkeepsie, Manassas, and a couple of other cities. The airline was heavily used by IBM, who had major operations at the time in Poughkeepsie and Manassas. I know this because I was living near Poughkeepsie at the time, and my ex- worked for IBM.

IIRC, after the purchaser airline (Presidential?) went TU, Colgan formed a new airline as a commuter service. It served Continental, and later USAir. I think Colgan has now been bought by Pinnacle or one of the other large commuter carriers.

A Colgan subsidiary just started Dash8 service out of EWR as Continental Connection...

There are a lot of Colgan planes in Continental colors buzzing in and out of Houston. They are all Saab 340's down here, though.
Saab 340's in CO colors? Are you sure?

normal_picture-16%5B1%5D.jpg

Pretty sure ;)

Last edited:
I'll show my age here ;)

Colgan was founded by Charles Colgan out of Manassas prior to 1980 (I want to say he sold the airline to another - maybe Presidential - back in the '80s).

He provided a service between several smaller cities, and started flying between Poughkeepsie, Manassas, and a couple of other cities. The airline was heavily used by IBM, who had major operations at the time in Poughkeepsie and Manassas. I know this because I was living near Poughkeepsie at the time, and my ex- worked for IBM.

IIRC, after the purchaser airline (Presidential?) went TU, Colgan formed a new airline as a commuter service. It served Continental, and later USAir. I think Colgan has now been bought by Pinnacle or one of the other large commuter carriers.

that sounds right, from what i read on either wikipedia or some airline pilot site.

From Continental.com
Continental Airlines Selects Pinnacle Airlines and Bombardier Q400 Aircraft for Newark-Based Regional ServiceNEW YORK, Feb 05, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that it has selected a new regional airline partner and a new type of turboprop aircraft to operate as Continental Connection from its New York hub at Newark Liberty International Airport. Colgan Air Inc., a subsidiary of Pinnacle Airlines Corp., will operate efficient, quiet and comfortable 74-seat Bombardier Q400 twin-turboprop aircraft on short and medium-distance routes from Liberty starting in early 2008.
"Pinnacle Airlines Corp. and its subsidiary Colgan have the high standards that we expect from our Continental Connection service," said Mark Erwin, Continental's senior vice president of corporate development. "Our selection of the Q400 aircraft is an important move for us because it addresses our need for efficiency without sacrificing our customers' comfort, and because it is well-suited to the unique operating environment at Newark Liberty."
Continental has entered into a 10-year capacity-purchase agreement with Pinnacle Airlines Corp. The company will acquire 15 new Q400 aircraft which it will operate as Continental Connection through its Colgan subsidiary. Continental will schedule and market the service.
The Q400 Aircraft
Manufactured by Bombardier Aerospace, the Q400 is a high-efficiency, modern-technology turboprop, which will be configured with 74 seats in a single cabin. With a maximum cruise speed of 440 mph, the Q400 can keep pace with traffic flows into and out of busy metropolitan airports like Newark Liberty. Passenger comfort will be enhanced by the Q400's state-of-the-art noise and vibration suppression system.
Pinnacle Airlines
Pinnacle Airlines Corp., a publicly traded holding company, is the parent company of Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. and Colgan Air, Inc. Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. operates 135 Bombardier CRJ-200 Regional Jets in the United States and Canada as a Northwest Airlink carrier. Colgan Air, Inc. operates as Continental Connection, United Express and US Airways Express with a fleet of 39 Saab 340 and 11 Beech 1900 turbo-prop regional aircraft.
Continental Airlines
Continental Airlines is the world's fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 3,100 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 150 domestic and 136 international destinations. More than 400 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines. With more than 44,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with Continental Express, carries approximately 67 million passengers per year. Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture.
In 2006, Continental Airlines won its sixth J.D. Power and Associates award since 1996. The carrier received the highest rank in customer satisfaction among network carriers in North America in the J.D. Power and Associates 2006 Airline Satisfaction Index Survey(SM). For the third consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine named Continental the No. 1 Most Admired Global Airline on its 2006 list of Most Admired Global Companies. Continental was also named the No. 1 airline on the publication's 2006 America's Most Admired airline industry list. Additionally, Continental again won major awards at the OAG Airline of the Year Awards including "Best Airline Based in North America" for the third year in a row, and "Best Executive/Business Class" for the fourth consecutive year. For more company information, visit continental.com .
SOURCE Continental Airlines
Corporate Communications, +1-713-324-5080, or corpcomm@coair.com

Looks like you're right, I had it backwards. Colgan is now a subsidiary of Pinnacle.

normal_picture-16%5B1%5D.jpg

Pretty sure ;)
I stand corrected! I don't think that I've ever seen a S340 in CO ex colors up here.

Neat story too, I guess that some majors are starting to see the wisdom of fuel efficient turboprops over the RJ's?

I stand corrected! I don't think that I've ever seen a S340 in CO ex colors up here.

Neat story too, I guess that some majors are starting to see the wisdom of fuel efficient turboprops over the RJ's?

Well, for the shorter hops, anyways. I don't think the 340's go much farther from Houston than Shreveport... anything longer they use an RJ for, including IAH - YYZ. That is waaay too long of a flight to be sitting on those park-bench E45X seats the entire time!!!

Edit: BTW... does anyone else find it ironic that both planes in the picture are called 340's?

Back