Cold Wx tips?

Woohoo!! But next you're going to say you're in Florida. Sigh.

I actually get to fly myself to Houston next week. 36 hours of that place will be enough.

No, I'm actually like 7 miles away from Florida, so it's all good. :cool: Enjoy Houston...hopefully 36 hours is all you'll have to spend there!

Woohoo!! But next you're going to say you're in Florida. Sigh.

I actually get to fly myself to Houston next week. 36 hours of that place will be enough.
And back to Illinois, which is.....better?

I was still cold, just sayin...

Attachments

• CED6CA01-9095-4674-B5EE-FA549A485912.jpeg
    CED6CA01-9095-4674-B5EE-FA549A485912.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 19
  • EC81685E-0D1E-4CF6-B14B-CA30E783FEEB.jpeg
    EC81685E-0D1E-4CF6-B14B-CA30E783FEEB.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 16
Depends on where you live and your definition of cold. Someone mentioned above, dress like you will walk back home. Pay attention to this, if you have to do a off airport landing and you successfully do it, last thing you want is freeze to death. And whatever coat or whatever you are carrying, either have it on you or right next to you. It would do you no good at the back of the plane if you have to exit in a hurry.

Back in ND I would wear a thermal and carry a double layer winter coat, a hat and a 2 sets of gloves. One for preflight and then it went into the coat pocket. A lighter one that has those touch enabled fingers to operate avionics while flying. Most times I would take all gloves out while flying but keep them in my coat pocket. The coat will either be in the right seat or between my back and the seat.

If it gets too hot in the cabin due to heat and you are dressed up, close the heater .

I am talking below zero …. A lot below zero cold. Out here is GA, I haven’t seen below 30 yet and probably won’t. I still have a hat and glove in the plane out of practice, but I have a feeling I will survive even if I walk home from somewhere without them.

I love Illinois even if nobody else does.
I should probably clarify. I love the state. I love having 4 distinct seasons. None of which are unbearable one direction or the other. Be nice if we had some hills to fly around for the view. I hate that my property tax bill has more than doubled since I bought the place in 2012. Assessed at 390k this year, good for 12k. I bought it for 176k when I was 22. I hate the city and the politics around it. Do whatever I can to avoid it and the people in it. Maybe I've become too country...or just on the spectrum.

I should probably clarify. I love the state. I love having 4 distinct seasons. None of which are unbearable one direction or the other. Be nice if we had some hills to fly around for the view. I hate that my property tax bill has more than doubled since I bought the place in 2012. Assessed at 390k this year, good for 12k. I bought it for 176k when I was 22. I hate the city and the politics around it. Do whatever I can to avoid it and the people in it. Maybe I've become too country...or just on the spectrum.
Come down "south." :cool:

OP... are you using cabin air with the heat? I think the cabin air needs to be on to get heat blowing.

How to tell good products from others? Quick search yields lots of mil spec nomex? Any links please? Thank you.

I probably could have phrased that better. I ran into the same problem, trying to sort out what nomex was actually decent. Gave up on trying to identify anything claiming to be mil-spec. Instead, I bought some lightweight racing gloves from I believe Summit racing. Similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/RaceQuip-350005-Single-Driving-Gloves/dp/B004QMH0RY

Those are thin enough that they don't have an SPI rating, that race drivers use, but are made of similar material and by a company that does make flame resistant gloves. They aren't super warm, but are thin enough to let you work the controls. Similar in touch to TIG welding gloves, if that makes any sense.

Never thought about taping off the air intakes...next project when I get out to the hangar. We get plowed too but not the last 2 feet or so to the door. Airport doesn't want to take the chance of damaging the doors.

We're about to hit hurricane force winds in Colorado. Time to stay home.

The FBO hand shovels in front of our hangars early before the sun starts melting the snow so it does not turn to ice at night. Then the owner of the airport has plow trucks do the runway and taxiways later in the day.

Your hurricane force winds arrived today here!!
002_11.jpg

Last edited:
I dress for the outside temp, in case I have to walk home. When it’s -30° that includes hat and gloves. Layered snow clothing and 14” insulated boots.

Back