Cold Temps and high barometric pressure

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
Does barometric pressure and it’s changes affect the perception of cold ambient temperature in humans? That is, does a person feel colder with a surface OAT of 25*F at sea level in MA as opposed to the same OAT at 7,000’ in CO? Given the same relative humidity and 0 wind.

After a long night flight to the Grand canyon, I jumped out of the airplane and began tying down.

After a few minutes, I realized I was wearing a light shirt and no coat, but I didn't feel cold, despite the air temp of 15F.

The high altitude and low humidity made a very noticeable difference.

Not an expert by any means, but it would make sense to me that lower pressure air, being less dense given the same temp/RH, would be less efficient at conducting heat away from a body. Same RH at lower density also means less total moisture to wick heat away as well. Interesting topic to consider.

I think it falls under the same principle as wind chill.
IOW, in low density air, temps will still try to equalize(body temp to air temp) but at a lower rate due to less actual airmass flowing over you. Wind chill "feels" colder at the same actual temp differential due to more airmass moving over you, pulling the heat away quicker.
The same concept that gives us lower performance at higher altitudes also applies to heat transfer.

Last edited:
I don't believe a human can reliably sense any temp "feel" difference due to atmospheric pressure variations. In the north clear conditions mean cold temps. Clear is almost always associated with high pressure. Bring in low pressure and we get cloud cover and warmer temps. In near freezing temps humidity makes a difference in feel but below zero there's very little humidity so not a factor. Wind chill is real. -50° standing still is friggin cold but -50° with a 30mph wind is worse. Definitely. Spend a weekend in -50° and return home to -15°? Yep, light coat weather. The human body is remarkably adaptable to temps. The same is true in hot weather. Spend a day out fishing in 90° sun and 80° sundown feels cold.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back