cold start in Tx

Merf

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Merf 45R
OK..I know maybe most of you know this already, but here in SE Texas it does not get below freezing over 10-12 days a year and usually for only a couple hours. So we don't have any engine warmers or the like.

Last time I tried to start my 172M-180 below 40 degrees it was no joy -- ran the battery down trying...our FBO manager has spent several years in Alaska, so I did use all of his suggestions for cold starting.

Saturday morning was about 29F, but crystal clear and I sure wanted to fly...I was brainstorming how to get some "preheat" into the engine and came up with an idea that actually worked. Tweety Bird does not use alot of oil, so I usually keep her at 6 qts (8 max). First I tried just for a few minutes to start her cold. No joy. Then I took 1 quart of oil and put it under hot water at the FBO, I know the oil didn't get over 100-125F because the FBO's hot water ain't very hot....heated up the funnel, pour her in -- little extra prime, 3 turns, coughing (worked the throttle per FBO's instructions) BAM! Started right up!

I know most you yankees already know this if it is really a valid procedure, but I hardly ever think of something I consider purty smart, so I thought I'd share it.

Merf

from what i hear, thats basically SOP in alaska, except they heat all the oil.

OK..I know maybe most of you know this already, but here in SE Texas it does not get below freezing over 10-12 days a year and usually for only a couple hours. So we don't have any engine warmers or the like.

Last time I tried to start my 172M-180 below 40 degrees it was no joy -- ran the battery down trying...our FBO manager has spent several years in Alaska, so I did use all of his suggestions for cold starting.

Saturday morning was about 29F, but crystal clear and I sure wanted to fly...I was brainstorming how to get some "preheat" into the engine and came up with an idea that actually worked. Tweety Bird does not use alot of oil, so I usually keep her at 6 qts (8 max). First I tried just for a few minutes to start her cold. No joy. Then I took 1 quart of oil and put it under hot water at the FBO, I know the oil didn't get over 100-125F because the FBO's hot water ain't very hot....heated up the funnel, pour her in -- little extra prime, 3 turns, coughing (worked the throttle per FBO's instructions) BAM! Started right up!

I know most you yankees already know this if it is really a valid procedure, but I hardly ever think of something I consider purty smart, so I thought I'd share it.

Merf

Out here at my airpark outside of the DFW area, we've been getting that cold crap too. Hate it.

The Cardinal is a cranky, onery woman to get started and if you don't pre-heat her well in advance, you're gonna waste a battery.

But my Skyhawk is pretty cooperative--even with those extra two cylinders to feed. I give her three primes, third one just as I start spinning the prop and at the end of the third prime I quickly reach over and give a steady pump of the throttle and *voila* -- we have a happy, running motor.

I'm fortunate in that I have a nice insulated hangar to keep the birds in, but my pre-heating system for the airplanes is pretty high tech. . . I get these king-size heating pads from Walgreens for around $20 each, some long bungy cords to wrap around the cowling and hold the heating bad underneath the cowling, and a ten-dollar extension cord from Lowe's.

I'd never make it up north. . .

Regards.

-JD

my latest secret trick is an Autozone battery blanket. You need every cranking amp on your side when its this dang code. err - 'cold', sorry.

Had to get mine going yesterday to fly to BMI for the 430W retrofit. Was -(2) F. 12 hour cylinders + sump preheat, with engine blankets in a closed, unheated hangar.

Got 'em both on the second blade, but had to hit the primers to keep them running.

Only thing wrong with it is that you didn't do it from the beginning! :yes:

I have a insulated cowl cover and a 300w heater on the oilpan that worked great in Alaska where every parking spot has an outlet (cars or planes) I set the timer for 6 hrs before a flight and ehn I took the cowl off it was toasty warm (prob 70-80deg above ambient). Now I am in Tn and no electricity so I take my 35000btu kero forced air heater and hook it to an 15' aluiminized dryer vent and run it up under the lower cowl (power is supplied from an inverter hooked to my running truck. I run it for 20min + 1min/deg under 40deg. Instant starts and the oil is just starting to read by the time I get to the taxiway.

Last edited:
We had Tanis block heaters in our airplanes in ND, same as in our cars. At GFK I was lucky enough to have the line guys preheat for me (the airplane I flew there was kept in an unheated hangar) but at CKN, the airplane was in an open-shed hangar with ice on the floor between November and April, plugged into an extension cord. Still had no problems cranking it over down to -20. (But the cockpit was damn cold for a while...)

Anyway, I though one of those powerful blow dryers like my sister uses would be handy to keep around the hangar in areas normally warmer in winter just for emergencies. If anything, they work pretty good on frosty windows.

Back