Cold & Bumpy & Fun

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
EdFreds post inspired me and was thinking about that cold air out there. My old CFII who gave me my IR ( Now a friend of mine) called me Thursday and says hey lets go do some approaches. Don't have to ask me that twice.
Now Jamie and I haven't flown together since my IPC in Early september when it was OH SO WARM. Hot acutally. Ya know, the days when sweat is dripping down your forehead beneath your foggles and into your eyes stinging the hell out of them?
Jamie and I arrive at KPNE at 8:00 this morning and it was about 30 degrees and I'm thinking to myself man If I were a CFI I'd definitly get a job in Florida. The summer Kinda makes you forget about winter flying. Anyway I book a 2yo Tiger with a stars and stripes theme and all the whistles and bells, I was very happy to see that they were pulling the plane out of the nice WARM hangar when I arrived. (Pregflight was still darn cold).
Moving forward Ground, gives us instructions to taxi to 33 while holding in position. I decide to do a short field take off. Now the Tiger is not a great short field operator but rotating at 55kts that puppy was off the ground in nothing more than 800 feet we were at 1100' by the time we were over the numbers on the departure end of a 5000' runway and the field elevation is 121'. Climbout on the short field is supposed to be 65kts I was at about 70kts and It flelt like we were headed straight up.
Ed's story about hanging on the prop during a stall remined me of this as well as the last time I flew with Jamie for my IPC in WARM September. We did stalls then and the DA was so high it seemed like we had less than 10degrees of pitch before the stall alarm sounded a little different than today.
Anyway I got in four approaches the VOR 24 and 6 at Miller field in Toms River NJ, the VOR 29 at Robbinsville with partial panel and the ILS 24 at KPNE. The occasional moderate turbulence below 12 was more like CONSTANT moderate turbulance below 12 and made me feel like I was riding a bucking bull. It made me think of the time Henning posted about flying corpses in IMC at night in turbulence in a little 172. What a great story that was.
I felt great about all the approaches. I mean I really banged them compensated for some strong winds held the needle dead center and was right where I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be there. my final 50' at KPNE got under my skin a bit though. Landing was smooth enough but 12 nm out the ATIS changed to information Tango wind 280@ 19 G28 for landing on 24. Of course just as I crossed the numbers was when the G28 took effect I had almost full left rudder and right alieron but was still being pushed left. Grrrr. I could have put in more right alieron and that is a weakenss of mine. It is such a darn unnatural feel for me. I really need to get past that somehow. Anyway its amazing what a great day of flying can do for your head.

Adam,

Yes it was a bit nip out there this morning, but it was great to get up in the air. I had a 9:30 lesson at N99, which I showed up at 8:30 because thats the time I wrote down. :rolleyes: After a quick run back out for some eats I headed back ready to take on more landings. Had fun with those crosswinds myself, made practicing the flairs a tad bit interesting at 40N and the home field N99.

Your right about all those hot days, keeping a towel handy to keep the eyes from stinging........today I had baseball gloves (hate those bulky gloves) and only had a baseball warmup cover over a sweatshirt so pre flight was BRRRrrrrrrrr....once under way it got quite toasty. I hope to solo this thursday......I'm not looking forward to the white stuff that is called for this week.

It's great to see people getting out in the cold weather....Ed Fred had a good write up too.

Nice Adam.

I personally wouldn't know anything about drift, of course :no:

I had the helo up last thursday in the cold (no wind though). Somewhere north of 40N I flew over a castle-like huge building with what looked like a school type building adjacent to it. I have no clear idea exactly where it was, but I think I'll take the Cherokee up and get higher and try to spot it again.

Back